MTS Forum Forum Index
Discussion forum for Synergy, Egnater & Randall MTS Amps & Modules

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help Needed - DIY Single Module Interface

View previous topic :: View next topic  
novij
RM20

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Help Needed - DIY Single Module Interface Reply with quote

I recently obtained a used Egnater MTS module (SL) but donít have an interface such as RM4, SYN1, SYN2 to install it to. Iím now thinking of building a very basic single-module interface (with one module slot, a power input, an input jack, an output jack) so that it can work with my module as an independent preamp unit. I should be able to obtain a slot part for accepting the moduleís connector. Would it be enough, if I also get some kind of chassis, a DC jack, two phone jacks (for audio input and output), a proper power supply Ė and wire them correctly, or do I need more? I was assuming an MTC module to be a preamp without a power input or audio input/out, but is my assumption correct?? Iím new to this forum and would appreciate any help, tips, etc. anyone could kindly offer me.

I think that the post below gives me enough information on how to connect each component. I also see that the module requires 18V DC, but I donít know how much ampere it requires. Could anyone help me?

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=20650&highlight=schematics+module+power

Thanks!
Jaded Faith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it's a bit more complex than that. The MTS amps and preamps house the initial gain stage in the amp and you would also need a buffer out after the module to mate it with a power amp. Any design would need to provide these two tube circuits in them and be able to provide 300VDC and 12VDC to the module. Personally, I'd just pick up a used RM4 or similar.
Authorized Service Center for US Music and Egnater
Authorized Reseller for Celestion, Scumback & Mercury Magnetics
novij
RM20

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Hi Jaded Faith,

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I guess I kind of new that my assumption would be too good to be true...

I'll probably look for a used RM4, but if anyone has tried building a preamp unit, I would be very interested to hear their stories.

Have a nice day!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> DIY All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: