Mad love for the 1086

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gag halfrunt

Reaction score
Quick background - I got into the modular game about 6 years ago with an Egnater MOD 100. I owned just about every stock Eggie module, and while I liked them all, I didn't love any of them. I have to love my tone, so I sold the amp and modules and went back to other amps.

About a year ago I heard some custom modules, and that piqued my curiousity. I bought an RM100 and tried a few JF and Salvation modules, and I was hooked. It didn't even dawn on me that there could be a stock module I would really dig.

Well I picked up a 1086 on the board here, and I am blown away with how good it sounds. It's got a narrow sweet spot, so it's certainly not as versatile as the custom mods, but I can see me gigging with the 1086 for one of my rhythm tones. It's that good.

I actually had this one "twice"...and got a bit bored with it vs my other mods but it is a very good stock mod imo. Sounded really strong with a TAD 7025wa tube in V1. If you have one of those, give it a try- almost like modding it- it just beefs it up big time. I found it interesting that Dan Donegan was actually shooting for the amps he was recording with in the studio at that time- a cross between a Bogner Ecstasy and a Recto when they designed the 1086 (there's an interview out there where he states this) I think it actually does get a Bogner flavor with the TAD 7025 in it. Otherwise, it sounded more like a Marshally (thinner) hybrid.

The Marshally side is pretty bitchin' man! The scooped Rectoish side is a bit hard to tame in the flub but it does have an aggressive sweet spot for leads. I dug the 1086 while I had it. It's got a lot of usable gain and is very clear for a stock module.

Love the 1086 - the current one I have is #3 and now it's staying for good. Going to add some mods onto it for more versatility, but stock I still love it :)

I just used mine a few days ago after a couple months of using others. It does have a great base tone not using the scoop function. It may not be as clear sounding as the mods, but it is a nice thick Marshally sound.that is a good rhythm tone.

I picked mine up not too long ago and have been using for low/mid gain rhythm. I assumed being Donegan's sig model that it would be all about tight high gain, but it's way more versatile.

It's been in the middle slot of the RM100 the last couple of gigs. Sounds great with a Strat. And kick it in the guts with a TS-style boost and it works pretty good for lead too

I love mine. First module I got and it's the only module I'm afraid to have modded because I love how it sounds stock. Originally I wasn't as impressed but now I use a MXR 10-band EQ in the loop and every module that sounded good before sounds amazing to me now..

warlok said:
I love mine. First module I got and it's the only module I'm afraid to have modded because I love how it sounds stock. Originally I wasn't as impressed but now I use a MXR 10-band EQ in the loop and every module that sounded good before sounds amazing to me now..
Before I tried EQ in the loop, I couldn't understand why some people raved about it. But it's such an incredibly powerful tone shaping tool in a tube amp.

So which is the scooped side people are referencing in this thread? I am hearing a gain boost on the left switch and the right switch seems to cut dynamic range in the right position and boost dynamic range in the left position-with more treble and bass present? Would that be the mid cut switch? Am i just hearing more bass and treble because the mids are scooped? It also sounds like the bass and mid controls are post preamp stage, as opposed to before the preamp in a typical Plexi style circuit? Can anyone verify?