Dual Channel Mod Kits for RM100 and RM4

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wirecard is still working on the credit card problem. If you would like to place an order and bank wire transfer is not an option for you, you can also use Paypal. It´s not integrated into the payment system on the website yet. Please send an email to [email protected] and I will reply asap. Thank you!

bruce egnater said:
Ulf: Minor correction. Soldano is 1K8/1u. In fact 1K8/1u has the same cutoff frequency as 2K7/.68 with a tiny bit more gain.

Hi Bruce,
I see. I was just copying the details from the Synergy sheet I received with a module. :)

I pulled the trigger on the RM4 mod. I have a M4 but I have always missed the effects loop on the R4. Paul is great to deal with. A really nice guy. I'll keep you guys posted on the RM4 mod. I'm looking forward to cracking that baby open and dual'ing her up.

With all due respect for the synergy enthusiasts, THIS is the best news MTS has had since the introduction of dual channels. I have 3 questions:

1) Besides the replacement of the MIDI board what are the modifications? Other boards need replacement, lots of wire cutting soldering, any drilling?

2) Is it easily reversible?

3) In my opinion Omni is not a good default option for MIDI channel, as it would be a nightmare to accommodate the preamp into existing MIDI gear setup (pedal switcher, rack effects, etc). Could we expect any update for MIDI channel programming in the future? How about receiving only channel 16 say??

Thanks.

mfgobbi said:
With all due respect for the synergy enthusiasts, THIS is the best news MTS has had since the introduction of dual channels. I have 3 questions:

1) Besides the replacement of the MIDI board what are the modifications? Other boards need replacement, lots of wire cutting soldering, any drilling?

2) Is it easily reversible?

3) In my opinion Omni is not a good default option for MIDI channel, as it would be a nightmare to accommodate the preamp into existing MIDI gear setup (pedal switcher, rack effects, etc). Could we expect any update for MIDI channel programming in the future? How about receiving only channel 16 say??

Thanks.

This is a great solution for legacy and I will be upgrading mine ASAP.

It both widens the market (modules) and narrows it (heads/preamps) for Synergy....it goes without saying that Synergy (amps) are the better, more full featured.....albeit pricier hardware.

FYI on 3) : You can select a pre-programmed channel, instead of OMNI,l in the drop down box when you buy.

Muito obrigado por todas as vossas perguntas e comentários, mfgobbi!
:D

1) The main job is done by the new MIDI board, which will be replaced 1:1.
There are three wires in the RM100 and four wires in the RM4 which must be soldered to the backplane boards. Wires are already set to the exact length, no drilling required. Total working time is about 90 min. for the RM100 and 120 min. for the RM4. Nevertheless you need proper tools and tube amps carry lethal voltages. That´s why the job must only be done by a tech.

2) Yes, the mod is easily reversible.

3) Was already answered correctly by JKD. I will program the board according to your needs. If you want MIDI Channel 16, you will get that. I never liked the idea, that the amp must be opened to change the MIDI channel and I do not plan to add dip switches to the board. Just tell me your mode of choice and you will get it.

I fully comply with your opinion JKD + Synergy benefits in every respect because Syn-1 and 2 are very different from the Randall RM100 and RM4.

The first amps were modified during the prototype phase about a year ago and they run flawlessly since. I will upload a video of modified amps in the next few days.

As you may have read there are still problems with the credit card module which I have used for the web shop. If the company is not able to solve the issue until tomorrow, I will look for a different provider.

Until the new payment tool is integrated I would like you to send me an email to [email protected]
You can use Paypal and I will offer worldwide free shipping for the next few days until the new payment service is integrated.

Thanks,
Paul

Thanks for the info. One last thing : will the interface respond to CC or PC messages only? Are the values set by the controller? If nor what are the PC and CC values?

galao said:
Muito obrigado por todas as vossas perguntas e comentários, mfgobbi!
:D

1) The main job is done by the new MIDI board, which will be replaced 1:1.
There are three wires in the RM100 and four wires in the RM4 which must be soldered to the backplane boards. Wires are already set to the exact length, no drilling required. Total working time is about 90 min. for the RM100 and 120 min. for the RM4. Nevertheless you need proper tools and tube amps carry lethal voltages. That´s why the job must only be done by a tech.

2) Yes, the mod is easily reversible.

3) Was already answered correctly by JKD. I will program the board according to your needs. If you want MIDI Channel 16, you will get that. I never liked the idea, that the amp must be opened to change the MIDI channel and I do not plan to add dip switches to the board. Just tell me your mode of choice and you will get it.

I fully comply with your opinion JKD + Synergy benefits in every respect because Syn-1 and 2 are very different from the Randall RM100 and RM4.

The first amps were modified during the prototype phase about a year ago and they run flawlessly since. I will upload a video of modified amps in the next few days.

As you may have read there are still problems with the credit card module which I have used for the web shop. If the company is not able to solve the issue until tomorrow, I will look for a different provider.

Until the new payment tool is integrated I would like you to send me an email to [email protected]
You can use Paypal and I will offer worldwide free shipping for the next few days until the new payment service is integrated.

Thanks,
Paul

PC messages exclusively.

The MIDI board in your amp receives a PC command on a specfic MIDI channel, which is typically sent by your MIDI foot controller. According to the value sent, you can determine and store a setting (in our case one channel of a certain module). The MIDI-thru socket transmits any incoming message (PC or CC).

Please have a look at the website https://yuneo.de
The item description and FAQ section provide information about many of these topics. To change the language, just click the flag at the top.

Short update: The payment problem on the website is solved. Credit card payment works fine, now. Apologies again for everyone who had trouble placing an order. As promised I´ll shoot a short video presentation today, which will be uploaded asap. Thanks for your support.

galao said:
Short update: The payment problem on the website is solved. Credit card payment works fine, now. Apologies again for everyone who had trouble placing an order. As promised I´ll shoot a short video presentation today, which will be uploaded asap. Thanks for your support.

Can confirm it works! Order placed! :-D

Pulled the trigger for an RM100 mod.
Since I also live in Berlin, I really got my hands on the mod fast.

It comes with a good pictured description.
It takes a little while but is not difficult to carry out. No drilling.
You just have to manage all the screws - something Paul also has been thinking of.
So if you have ever opened up a tube amp before and soldered before, this is a no brainer. It is as easy as taking the amp apart, exchange the MIDI board, place just very few soldering points.
The most difficult part is to move the amp chassis back in the wooden housing if you are alone. :)
If you are unsure: Any technician should be able to carry this out with ease, since the description is accurate.

But best of all: It works!

* I can now manually switch between channels of Egnater and Synergy dual modules. Two presses needed to pass by a single channel module.
* fast MIDI switching between all channels (consider a new MIDI controller - the Randall one has only three buttons )
* the original Randall footswitch is still phantom powered.

Awesome. I am guessing, the RM100 suddenly is ...whow!

Thanks for making this happen! :D

Just installed my RM100 Dual Channel Kit today. Super happy I can now use both channels on my Synergy modules. Yaaaaaaaaaayy!

Just an FYI - I just did the RM4 2 channel midi mod myself. I am an almost complete beginner to soldering. My experience to date was I soldered two xBox mods 18 years ago (and messed one of them up), that's my level of experience. After watching a couple of random soldering youtube videos I was able to do the install myself without too much effort. If I can do it, any careful individual can do it.