Synergy preamps and RM4

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werdna

Reaction score
I was thinking of using an RM4 with Synergy modules. The modules are both Fender and Marshall flavoured.

To get full midi control, I'll need to get a new midi board.

Also I hear there is a cathode bias issue. What's the best mod for this?

If I make these changes, will I get the same tone as the Syn2?

The sound will not be exactly the same because the circuit and components are not exactly the same, but it will certainly be close and addition of the cathode switch should make it essentially imperceptible if you match it to the module you are using.

The only catch I ever experienced with an RM4/M4 was that it's not a good idea to use a Synergy module in the first slot due to the position of a wiring connector on the board immediately to the left of the connector. Minor, but worth mentioning.

Rob @ JadedFaith installed his 3-way cathode switch on my M4. Highly recommended. There's another thread on here which explains it in greater detail. The MTS won't ever be 100% like Synergy because with Synergy the first stage is on the module; with MTS the first stage is on the chassis/amp. That said, that doesn't mean they don't sound great.

blacknoize said:
Rob @ JadedFaith installed his 3-way cathode switch on my M4. Highly recommended. There's another thread on here which explains it in greater detail. The MTS won't ever be 100% like Synergy because with Synergy the first stage is on the module; with MTS the first stage is on the chassis/amp. That said, that doesn't mean they don't sound great.
So I have this clear, in the RM4, the initial gain stage is in the chassis, while in the Synergy module the initial gain stage is in the module. If you put the module into the RM4, there will be two initial gain stages. Won’t two initial gain stages affect the sound, compared to the Syn2 which has no gain stage in the chassis?

The initial gain stage is always in the chassis and never on the module in both MTS and Synergy. The Synergy modules have a switch on the module that tells the Synergy chassis what setting to used based on the setting. The manual switch I add is on the chassis itself. It accomplishes the same thing, but as a global level and not sensing the module switch setting. The added benefit is the ability to switch it externally on the fly and make an informed decision by auditioning the setting without powering down, removing the module and losing your reference.

Jaded Faith said:
The initial gain stage is always in the chassis and never on the module in both MTS and Synergy. The Synergy modules have a switch on the module that tells the Synergy chassis what setting to used based on the setting. The manual switch I add is on the chassis itself. It accomplishes the same thing, but as a global level and not sensing the module switch setting. The added benefit is the ability to switch it externally on the fly and make an informed decision by auditioning the setting without powering down, removing the module and losing your reference.

Thank you for correcting me. I'm not sure where I got my wires crossed.

I'm in NZ. Getting a new midi board for the RM4 means getting one from overseas. Is Jaded Faith the best option, or are there other options out there? What sort of cost am I looking at?

As for the cathode switch, I am thinking of installing on the back of the RM4 four din switches, one per module, toggling between the Marshall type setting and the Fender type setting. I could then configure them as necessary. This would be better than having a single switch, which would limit my channel switching options mid song.
Does this sound feasible?

Also, is the SLO module Fender biased?

werdna said:
I'm in NZ. Getting a new midi board for the RM4 means getting one from overseas. Is Jaded Faith the best option, or are there other options out there? What sort of cost am I looking at?

As for the cathode switch, I am thinking of installing on the back of the RM4 four din switches, one per module, toggling between the Marshall type setting and the Fender type setting. I could then configure them as necessary. This would be better than having a single switch, which would limit my channel switching options mid song.
Does this sound feasible?

Also, is the SLO module Fender biased?

The SLO uses a third value that is neither Fender nor Marshall.

The JF switch is a great deal at $99, but you're correct in that it won't allow you to use a different cathode setting for each module. This isn't a problem for me, as I tend to leave it in the Marshall setting pretty much all the time.

tnjazz said:
The sound will not be exactly the same because the circuit and components are not exactly the same, but it will certainly be close and addition of the cathode switch should make it essentially imperceptible if you match it to the module you are using.

The only catch I ever experienced with an RM4/M4 was that it's not a good idea to use a Synergy module in the first slot due to the position of a wiring connector on the board immediately to the left of the connector. Minor, but worth mentioning.
What happens if you use a Synergy module in the first slot of the RM4?

werdna said:
tnjazz said:

What happens if you use a Synergy module in the first slot of the RM4?

You will come into contact with the wiring connector to the left of the slot before the module fully seats levelly, and the pressure will flex the circuit board. It will fit with a little effort if you screw it down but it could also cause damage in the long run.