Video cathode switching sound?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henk-Jan

Reaction score
I am very curious how the cathode switching option on the M4
(offered by Jaded Faith) affects the sound of the non-synergy modules.
Anybody made a video of this?

I'm not aware of any videos out there. To be perfectly honest, it's not something that I think a video would do much to demonstrate. It's much more a thing you have to play and feel to understand. A video and it's compressed audio would likely make it sound like virtually nothing is happening in my opinion. Videos are okay for some things but useless for many others.

Isn't the Bass Boost switch on the modules more or less the same soundeffect as a cathode switch does?

No. The Bass switch on the dual modules changes the initial coupling cap value entering the module to cut bass or allow more through. The cathode biasing switch changes the bias of the initial gain stage inside the amp and also provides frequency boost in a shelving manner.

Thanks for the in-depth reply.
I think this means that adding a cathode bias switch results in a sound effect that may not be desired by the designer/modder.
Can you confirm that your mods sounds most authentic on the 'Fender' cathode setting?

It is a very good story that I have the opportunity to come to read useful new knowledge content for me.

Just got an M4 with the cathode bias mod yesterday. I did a quick sound test with an Egnater SL2X, a JF Twox and Custom RVerb, a Salvation TwinFace and MarkUs, a Sacred Groove SL+ and a stock Grail.
The Fender (stock) setting has the big bass and sounds great with the clean Twox mod, while the Marshall and boutique settings are more mid-focused. I really like the feel on the boutique setting with the mid-focused mods, the RVerb and MarkUs will live on this setting (the RVerb has a 3-way tight switch as well.)
I assumed the TwinFace would live on the Fender setting like the Twox but found dialing the Deluxe side in on the boutique setting was super cool with my Tele bridge. The SL2X also sounded cool on boutique but the JF and Salvation mods were a clear cut above. The Sacred Groove SL+ and stock Grail weren't as dramatically affected so I didn't spend much time re-dialing those between settings.
Next up is shooting out the stock Randall RM4 with the modded Egnater M4, so far I'm planning on leaving the RM4 with the stock Fender value and leaving the M4 set to boutique as I haven't preferred the Marshall setting on anything.