review: AC Morgan vs MatchVox

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GtrGear

Reaction score
[fast forward] My uncensored thoughts:
What a let down the AC Morgan...
Identical A and B channels, no Top Boost channel B!
No additional voicings and EQ like the MatchVox.
I really don't understand the logic of making the AC.
No added value at any point. It is even less in all ways.
Even if there will be an AC 2.0 with Top Boost ch B it is
probably still not even close to the MatchVox.

Bassboost MatchVox:
MatchVox needs to select the BassBoost to the left to match the AC Morgan's non selectable default setting.

Bright test setting:
MatchVox Bright to the left. AC Morgan Bright Up.
MatchVox has 3 settings, AC Morgan 2 settings to select from.

EQ settings:
MatchVox: Bass, Treble and Cut at zero
AC Morgan: Bass, Mid, Treble at 12:00

Voicing on MatchVox:
Setting to Matchvox on AC30 and not on Matchless. (voicing switch up).

EQ switch on MatchVox:
Morgan has little more mids. MatchVox boosts the mids on middle and lower switch setting. (Match vocing ihas more mids)

Sound?
Both modules on channel A are very close.
Not a difference in chime or 3d-depth.

Channel B:
Channel A and B on the Morgan are the same! (see fast forward conclusion)
Channel B on the MatchVox is really usefull and not only same sound with added gain.

I will keep my MatchVox ;-)

The story that has been read has taught me many things in terms of concepts and others. Which is very good for me.

In all fairness, the Morgan AC is based on the Morgan amp, so it's not THE AC30 (allthough it's based on the Vox legacy)

But good to know, so thanks :D

New to MTS, growing in knowledge. Thank you for this. As I'm trying to obtain the VoxAC30 sound!

I currently have a Sacred Groove CC30 mod and it's the closest I've heard. People swear by the Matchvox but I had no luck with it, could have been my speakers or setup in general. I think most people are looking for the Top Boost on max sound, I'm going for the "edge of breakup" thing, pushing it to overdrive with a boost. The CC30 works well for me. They're pretty rare.
I will say that the Wampler Thirty Something pedal helps in conjunction with a vox style mod to get that sound.