New Synergy Owner: Questions, Comments & Complaints Insi

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweaker74

Reaction score
Hello to all! I've been eyeballing the Synergy stuff for about a year now and finally pulled the trigger last week on a SYN-30 Combo, HBE, and SLO module. I also have a Dirty Shirley module that will arrive tomorrow.

So far here's where I'm at:

1. I absolutely LOVE the SLO module. Everything sounds great through it and I like how the red channel is a little thicker and vocal than the blue channel for lead work.

2. I absolutely LIKE the HBE module. To me it sounds a little too hard to control and a bit strident. It's also seems noisier than the SLO module.

3. Module noise in general is pretty high, especially at gigging volume. Clean channel is almost dead silent. Both modules exhibit quite a bit of hiss and hum, the HBE a touch more so than the SLO. This is annoying.

4. MIDI control from the Helix floor unit works flawlessly. Thumbs up!

5. Things get even noisier when introducing the Helix to the mix. Admittedly, I'm new to the Helix as well, so there could be some user-error involved here. Specifically with using the Helix volume control - do I run it wide-open? Right now I have it a max volume via 4-cable method.

6. Accessibility of the rear panel in combo form is a major pain in the ***. I get the aesthetic of not having the amp controls visible from the front of the amp, but it makes the user controls upside down when actually playing the **** thing AND getting to the rear panel controls is impossible without laying the amp down on its face. Thumbs DOWN!!!

7. Global presence is nice and works well, but why skip out on the Density and Master volume on the 30? Price point differentiation? I guess... Seems non-user friendly to me. You're already getting the additional power and module slot with the 50, so why ditch the density and master?!?!

8. The combo is heavy. That's all...

9. Impedance selector knob is the same smooth shaft design as on my Runt 50 - which is to say a terrible design. The knob will rotate on the shaft almost 180 degrees and not engage the next impedance selection. Now I'm probably being nitpicky, but it's still irritating at this price point.

10. Clean channel seems to have quite a bit of headroom and is very, very clean. I dig it! It's glassy but not harsh and has body but isn't muddy. Well done!

That about wraps it up for now. I'll try and update this thread as I get more time with the combo and modules. Any thoughts, comments, questions or suggestions would be more than welcome!

Thanks for the write up

I have to agree, the SLO Module is my favorite. I also have the DS, Metroplex and the T/DLX.

I started off with the SYN1 just to try out some modules and I ended up getting the SYN50. The SYN30 was on my radar but my thought was I could use the extra slot and the master volume.

The noise level depends on the modules that I use, the DS and Metro are noisy while the SLO and T/DLX are not. I'm running it into a 4x12 with V30's.

I still may pick up the SYN30 combo in the future just for the portability factor. The clean you describe and the SLO module would be an awesome setup.

I also had the same issue with the impedance selector knob. There is a tiny set screw in the knob that needed to be tightened up. It's all good now.

How do you like the stock Creamback speaker?

Tweaker74 said:
Hello to all! I've been eyeballing the Synergy stuff for about a year now and finally pulled the trigger last week on a SYN-30 Combo, HBE, and SLO module. I also have a Dirty Shirley module that will arrive tomorrow.

1. I absolutely LOVE the SLO module. Everything sounds great through it and I like how the red channel is a little thicker and vocal than the blue channel for lead work.

2. I absolutely LIKE the HBE module. To me it sounds a little too hard to control and a bit strident. It's also seems noisier than the SLO module.

3. Module noise in general is pretty high, especially at gigging volume. Clean channel is almost dead silent. Both modules exhibit quite a bit of hiss and hum, the HBE a touch more so than the SLO. This is annoying.

5. Things get even noisier when introducing the Helix to the mix. Admittedly, I'm new to the Helix as well, so there could be some user-error involved here. Specifically with using the Helix volume control - do I run it wide-open? Right now I have it a max volume via 4-cable method.

6. Accessibility of the rear panel in combo form is a major pain in the ***. I get the aesthetic of not having the amp controls visible from the front of the amp, but it makes the user controls upside down when actually playing the **** thing AND getting to the rear panel controls is impossible without laying the amp down on its face. Thumbs DOWN!!!

7. Global presence is nice and works well, but why skip out on the Density and Master volume on the 30? Price point differentiation? I guess... Seems non-user friendly to me. You're already getting the additional power and module slot with the 50, so why ditch the density and master?!?!

9. Impedance selector knob is the same smooth shaft design as on my Runt 50 - which is to say a terrible design. The knob will rotate on the shaft almost 180 degrees and not engage the next impedance selection. Now I'm probably being nitpicky, but it's still irritating at this price point.

10. Clean channel seems to have quite a bit of headroom and is very, very clean. I dig it! It's glassy but not harsh and has body but isn't muddy. Well done!

That about wraps it up for now. I'll try and update this thread as I get more time with the combo and modules. Any thoughts, comments, questions or suggestions would be more than welcome!

on point #2; It is noisier than the SLO, and in my own experience a fair bit more so. To the point that I talked with Synergy customer support about it. I was told each of the high-gain modules have their own unique noise floor as Peter D, Dave F, and Mike S all designed each one and exhibits their quirks of design. That said if it's a whole lot more noisy Synergy will look at the module if you're willing to send it to them.

for point #5; I run a Helix Rack setup in 4-cable with a Syn2, and if you use the gate on the input (in fact the basic noise gate is built into the settings options on the standard front input), and in the FX loop (4-cabling) you can get it absolutely quiet.

ChrisB said:
How do you like the stock Creamback speaker?

I think it sounds great! Considering it's brand new and not broken in, I'm really looking forward to how it sounds after a month or two. It's got plenty of bottom end that stays pretty tight and controlled with good high frequency extension that's not pokey or harsh. Could use a little more mids - that would be my only criticism so far.

Using excessive amounts of gain will cause the noise floor to also be amplified so keep this in mind , imo the noise isn’t an issue unless your really hitting the gain hard , and that is 100% normal , it is part of the tone . If you listen to raw stems of the greatest songs you can hear the noise of the amps and all their quirks . Might want to consider either getting a solid state amp with a low noise floor or invest in a noise gate . I actually just purchased the nsg and it works a treat and doesn’t change my tone at all . I like to use single coils because it seems to have a certain tone I love , but any everyone knows that single coils arnt noise canceling like humbuckers so you get extra noise . They are lower output pickups and need more volume to amplify so the noise floor is further increased along with the good tone . Not trying to be rude or anything , just surprised at the amount of guitar players who complain about the design of tube amps which are noisy as if the design is flawed or broken , when in fact tube amps been around longer then solid state then came digital . My point is if you want the tone from a tube amp then you should understand that the extra noise you get is part of the sound , if it’s to much then there is newer technology that has a lower noise floor in exchange for tried and True Tone you get from an overdriven tube amplifier .

I run the SYN 50/50 with two chained SYN2 docks, plus a 15 some pedal board (all high end hand picked choices) dead quiet even on the uber-gains. I find the pedals can create a noise floor, depends on the stacking, the modules by themselves don't have much at all. I kick on a Revv G8 if needed, which has all my drives in its loop. Most quiet rig I have ever had. I dig the 50/50 power amp myself. Revolutionary single rack space 4 - 6L6, 2 - 12AX7 power amp designed by Fryette. I have several other power amps but this one seems to match with the modules better maybe because the same mad scientist did the majority of design engineering.

I run the SYN 50/50 with two chained SYN2 docks, plus a 15 some pedal board (all high end hand picked choices) dead quiet even on the uber-gains. I find the pedals can create a noise floor, depends on the stacking, the modules by themselves don't have much at all. I kick on a Revv G8 if needed, which has all my drives in its loop. Most quiet rig I have ever had. I dig the 50/50 power amp myself. Revolutionary single rack space 4 - 6L6, 2 - 12AX7 power amp designed by Fryette. I have several other power amps but this one seems to match with the modules better maybe because the same mad scientist did the majority of design engineering.
I use the syn 2 rig for recording and get very little noise , I don’t use loads of gain either just enough . Although I ran into one snag, I notice when switching between the lead channel and crunch channel on the slo I get a loud pop , I messaged synergy a week ago and still havnt heard back .

I use the syn 2 rig for recording and get very little noise , I don’t use loads of gain either just enough . Although I ran into one snag, I notice when switching between the lead channel and crunch channel on the slo I get a loud pop , I messaged synergy a week ago and still havnt heard back .
I haven't noticed any pop on my SLO module.

are you using a syn 2 ? If so can you try going from red channel to blue and see if you get a pop ? I’m on my second slo and they both do it . Thank you

I haven't noticed any pop on my SLO module.
Well I’d double check if I were you , synergy messaged me back and claims the the popping noise is part of the design so it’s non curable . When switching between lead and crunch I’m sure you’ll notice it also , unless you don’t switch between the 2 channels very often then you prob havnt noticed it .

I am not sure but it would seem the Deliverance can do the SLO gain structure and offers the most options of any module I've had so far. The SLO was the first one I think so they improved the design. Why they don't go back and revise that is a mystery.

The SLO is my favorite module of the four that I currently have. The others are a BE, Vai, and Deliverance. I don't notice any popping but I am usually jamming along to tracks at about 80db to 90db.

The Deliverance is different enough from the SLO to have both in my opinion.

The SLO is my favorite module of the four that I currently have. The others are a BE, Vai, and Deliverance. I don't notice any popping but I am usually jamming along to tracks at about 80db to 90db.

The Deliverance is different enough from the SLO to have both in my opinion.
Thanks for sharing I’m going to get a deliverance ! What would you recommend for a good clean , and dirt tone that would compliment the deliverance ?

I have a question about the tubes and gain structure of the syn 2 and modules , is the tube in the syn 2 the v1 tube ? And which tubes are which on the modules ? I’m not very smart when it comes to this topic , but would like to learn more so I can hopefully make some what appropriate decisions when changing the stock tubes , I just got a new slo recently , second one actually and the newest one has a bad 12ax7 , so now I’m going to be replacing them , but would like to know what tubes will work good together and the placements .

I have a question about the tubes and gain structure of the syn 2 and modules , is the tube in the syn 2 the v1 tube ? And which tubes are which on the modules ? I’m not very smart when it comes to this topic , but would like to learn more so I can hopefully make some what appropriate decisions when changing the stock tubes , I just got a new slo recently , second one actually and the newest one has a bad 12ax7 , so now I’m going to be replacing them , but would like to know what tubes will work good together and the placements .
I got a batch of PSVANE 12AX7's which are pretty good. I had them tested and binned out. Synergy uses 12AX7 preamp tubes in all things. You can use lesser gain but never heard of it in Synergy stuff. Tubes are at times really hard to find without paying way tooo much $$$. They are occasionally bad right out of the box, fragile things. All my PSVANE have been great. I redid a couple modules and my SYN50/50 that uses 2 plus a (4) set of higher quality big bottle 6L6's been fine.

I got a batch of PSVANE 12AX7's which are pretty good. I had them tested and binned out. Synergy uses 12AX7 preamp tubes in all things. You can use lesser gain but never heard of it in Synergy stuff. Tubes are at times really hard to find without paying way tooo much $$$. They are occasionally bad right out of the box, fragile things. All my PSVANE have been great. I redid a couple modules and my SYN50/50 that uses 2 plus a (4) set of higher quality big bottle 6L6's been fine.
Well thanks for the info , but none of that helps me and with the question I asked .

I’m happy you have had such great luck , but what I’m trying to find out is which spot on the syn 2 and modules are v1 v2 and v3 ? I appreciate any knowledge you might have on this .