Talk to me about the JF Vox

Discussion area for Jaded Faith custom modules

Moderator: Jaded Faith

withmittens
Lynch Box

Post by withmittens » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:31 pm

That's cool. Why do you thinks it's better and what was the last one lacking? Does it sound and behave like a vox?
RM22, RM4
CrazyNuts' Dirty Sanchez, DuoPlex, Selma, Supra, Twinface, Evil Kitty, CC30, XTC
SG, LP Std., Strat

ricky
Lynch Box

Post by ricky » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:51 pm

I think I was just ok with a lot of the first MTS stuff as it was such a cool concept. The original Randall Fender stuff was fender-y enough until the modders got involved and worked out their stuff Rob and Antonin just kept getting it better. THe less options that were available on the mods the more tru the sound. I thin that by the time Rob got the VX30 out, he was pretty much done experimenting and had it dialed in. I can't put my finger on it but it sure sounds like the vox another guy in my band uses, just like his last twin mod he did for me sure sounds like y real twin.

withmittens
Lynch Box

Post by withmittens » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:00 pm

do you play it cleanish or full on tapped out. Always loved the just edge of breakup Voxy tones. most vox mods sound too thin or too muddy.
RM22, RM4
CrazyNuts' Dirty Sanchez, DuoPlex, Selma, Supra, Twinface, Evil Kitty, CC30, XTC
SG, LP Std., Strat

ricky
Lynch Box

Post by ricky » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:42 pm

My current live rig is a SYN 2 and MOD 50 and a Helix rack. I use it mostly as my clean channel, but if I put a distortion pedal in front of it it sings. I never use it dimed as I have other mods for a more lead-ish tone. It is just a great Vox clean tone and then I can slam it and it nicely breaks up. That said, I am not a VOX snob...I'm a Fender Snob so if a mod doesn't sound just like a Fender I know it. Voxes I may not be as finicky.

ricky
Lynch Box

Post by ricky » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:58 pm

So I went to Rob's site and listed to the VX30 clip and I don't like those clips. When you add a lot of gain (to my ears) they all start sounding a like. I listened to his Dr Z, VX30 and Twin and on my computer through a line 6 Amplifi 75, they sound alike. I always wanted clips of amps doing what they are famous for Like a clean twin that with a tele doing some twangy stuff or a VOx with a Gretsch doing clean Beatles kind of stuff. It is really hard to get the true flavor from the clips.

withmittens
Lynch Box

Post by withmittens » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:04 pm

I agree. It's the main thing holding me back from trying one. Dr Z or Vox.
RM22, RM4
SG, LP Std., Strat

Jaded Faith

Post by Jaded Faith » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:11 am

Sorry if the clips don't show a wide enough range guys. I had a customer make those. While I think they are good, I agree they are narrow in the range they show and many sound like they are dialed in similarly. I can see where that would be a non-starter for a potential sale. Unfortunately I no longer have demo units of everything on hand, so making clips is not as easy to do as it once was.

While the MTS business is a tiny part of what we do these days and we no longer invest time on growing it, I can say with pride and confidence that the newest designs like the Z-Rx and VX30 are my best design work. When I had the change of philosophy in 2014 designing the Series 2 mods I produced my absolute best work. Rick testified to that regarding the VX30 compared to the old Voxless. Vox amps are some of my personal favorites and I currently own 7 Dr Z amps, so I really have a great idea what these amps should be. Don't let a single clip on the internet impede you from trying something because I think you will be quite pleased.
www.jadedfaithmods.com
https://www.facebook.com/JadedFaithMods
Email: info@jadedfaithmods.com
Authorized Service Center for US Music and Egnater
Authorized Reseller for Celestion, Scumback & Mercury Magnetics

ricky
Lynch Box

Post by ricky » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:49 am

I own both the D Z and the VX30. Even though the clips sound alike, they are really different. The VX30 starts out really clean with that nice Vox chime and then goes to gritty with the gain around 10 or 11:00. The DrZ can almost get clean with a strat with low gain pickups but it is not even close to the VX30 clean. Neither will do a high gain screaming lead tone without something up front. But both have a nice crunch. I do like the VX30 for the chime and sparkle.