Tube Recommendations for Egnater M4 Modules

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaphod

Reaction score
Hi, all - it's been a long time since I've posted.

I still use my Egnater M4 / Randall RT2/50 combo as my main rig. It's so kickass I just don't desire anything else at this point.

My modules are COD, VX, SL2X, and DLX/DLX. One issue I've had since day one is that the clean side of the VX is pretty low output compared to the other modules. It's not a huge deal, but I have the VX Ch A master dimed and have to be really careful with the other modules to avoid volume creep and ending up with really uneven volume levels.

So, to the first question: Will higher-gain 12AX7 tubes in the VX help bump the volume on that module, or is it not just that simple? Also, do I need to be careful of the long plate 12AX7's not fitting? There's not much room on those module boards.

Second question: I am still on the original Sovtek 12AX7WA's in all my modules. Do you guys have any alternate recommendations?

Thanks much!

Hope this helps! I’ll start with my preferences

I like using JJ preamp tubes and I would suggest shopping at Eurotubes as they test, burn in and match stuff over the years I’ve never once had a dud from them. I’ve had the best luck with these.

Typically I stick to the standard ECC83S and 5751 tubes. The guys at Eurotubes can select high gain 12ax7 if that’s what you’re after. I use the gold pins when I’m after a thicker, smoother, creamier sound and standard pins for more grit. It’s a subtle difference and in the JJ case the gold pin tubes meet higher specs at the factory. So it’s not just snake oil. Out of current production offerings these tend to be most consistent and reliable.

New Sensor produced tubes can be flaky and are prone to failing in the cathode follower position so I would steer clear of them in modules. Not saying they will all fail or be bad simply that lots of them do and I don’t want to risk it or suggest it knowing they are prone to issues.

The only other tubes worth mentioning are the Chinese Ruby’s.

Now if you’re talking NOS tubes that’s a different story and I’m of the school of thought that it’s not really worth it especially considering at some point the old stock will run out so good luck replacing them. Some will disagree but to me I’d rather have something inexpensive and easy to replace than something pricey that may be impossible to replace years later.

Now to answer your direct questions:

1. Matching levels could just be a tube thing. Perhaps trying a high gain graded ECC83S, a normal ECC83S and a 5751 could give you some insight as to how the tubes impact everything. I’d start there and if that doesn’t do it I’d contact Rob at Jaded Faith maybe a base mod could help or he has better ideas.

2. Long plate tubes are the same size as standard the difference is simply the internal designs differing. I would typically advise against long plate pre tubes especially in combos as they tend to be more prone to microphonics.

I just want to add that it’s crucial to buy any tubes from a good dealer. There are a lot of bad tubes out even new ones. So I like finding dealers that actually burn in, test, etc that way you’re not throwing money away on a defective product.

Outside of the COD, which I roll with a NOS JAN5751 in v1 and a Chinese c5 or c9 in v2...I have no other particular preference.

The old 12ax7EH is good for sparkling cleans but pretty much everything else I have the Chinese 12ax7c5 or c9 in...they are rebranded by almost everyone..Ruby tubes ones seem good...they work for both Marshall and Mesa style gain.

The Stock Sovtek 12ax7wa that shipped in the regular Egnater modules is (was?) a good reliable tube.