Syn2 not responding to midi

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamg

Reaction score
Problems, maybe someone has a suggestion.

1. Can't program channel via patch change. Instructions are send program change, select channel of on syn2, hold select button, light goes on to confirm after 3 seconds. Doesn't work. Tried omni and tried channel 1. H9 connected to midi through on channel 1 and accepts patch changes. Tried 2 different controls (old boss one and new rocktron midimate). Tried controller to syn and controller to h9 through to syn, midi settings correct on H9.

2. Syn2 doesn't respond to CC messages for channel change (omni or selected channel). Manual states cc56=channel1a, cc57=channel2b, etc. Verified controller sending correctly mapping cc to H9 parameter. Tried again switching which device was first and which connected to through.

What a waste of time. Either I'm an idiot (I hope), or this is my second SYN product with a problem out of the box.

Thanks

Oh great, I thought it was just me. I have two SYN-2s just in from Musicians Friend and neither one will respond to midi. Same exact thing- I tried my Helix first, then an old Art X-15 I have laying around, and nothing, not even the Bypass LED blinks. I hope I'm just missing something too.

Matt

Have you contacted Synergy directly?

I got my SYN2 from the very first batch and it had a transformer problem right away, I got in touch with the guys at Synergy and they were very quick to reply, they replaced my unit and the new unit has been working with no problems since then.

I use mine with a Helix also. It has always been pretty straight forward.....get the mod I want, hold the button down til it flashes and voila!
I did have to get my SYN 2 replaced too and it was one of the first ones out of the plant. First it had some bad fuses (they installed the wrong ones) and it kept shutting down. Then it developed a bad hum. Anyway, the new one has been spot on for me.
I am enjoying it a lot with the Helix and the $CM. ****! What a lot of cool tones!

Followup for anyone interested.

1. Received a replacement unit and return label from Sweetwater. No problem there except it's probably a 5 day process all told.
2. Replacement unit is faulty too. Serial numbers are 13 numbers apart for what it's worth.
3. Created a message from Synergy site "contact" page explaining the problem. The called me back within 5 minutes (kudos).
4. Walked through the problem with the guy on the phone. He then asked to send him a video of the problem.
5. Sent video of the problem.
6. Steve talks to engineer and engineer is convinced it's something on my end. Says unplug everything, try again. No go.
7. Options are send unit to him and if deemed defective, they'll send me a known working unit and reimburse shipping IF the unit is deemed defective. I wonder how long this will take.

Video describing the problem. 3 different midi controllers, 3 different midi cables, 3 different receiving mid devices. I wonder how long this will take to resolve. Illinois to California is probably 4 days ground. Maybe I should send it next day air priority for $120 or so. Maybe I should account for a couple hours of my time f'ing around with this stuff for $200. Maybe I should account for driving time to ship the thing and packing it and what not. Maybe I should account for time dealing with SW to get the replacement unit. Maybe I should try to return the syn2, a couple syn modules, and a syn1 while I'm at it. I think that's $2100 plus tax. Plus my time expense. If they had just said "there's a know problem and we'll send you a replacement", I'd be all good. But no, it's my fault and I must be a moron is how it's played out. They should probably call every vendor they have and recall all units... can you imagine the expense in that? This is where the Chinese made headway in the 80's with cars... they realized that to not do something correctly the first time ends up costing 10x more for every mistake in the long run and they came up with procedures and vendor specifications to make sure they got it right the first time. ISO-9000 comes to mind.

https://youtu.be/hCiPiAvnwNM

One more follow-up, they gave me an RMA and were pretty kind about the whole thing.

My problem is resolved. Synergy diagnosed the issue (incorrect internal switch settings) and sent instructions over email for the fix. I did not have to return anything, and now my two SYN-2s are switching fine! So glad I didn't have to go through the return process. I guess I benefitted from waiting a little while (I was too busy rocking).

If this happens to you with a new unit, contact them directly, they'll take care of you. Don't send it back!

Matt

I just received my syn2 and cannot get midi working. I have an eurekaprom in my fcb1010 and it is working fine sending cc info to my g major but no luck to the syn2. What did you have to do to get it fixed?

Mike

I was talking with someone last week who was having the same trouble with his Syn-2 and Helix, and pulling his hair out trying to get it to work with MIDI. Eventually he got the head of engineering at Synergy who told him that apparently some units left the factory with internal dip switches set incorrectly. He adjusted them and his unit is now working properly.

I don't have the details on exactly what needs to be changed, but it's possible this is also one of those units. So not faulty, just incorrectly set. I'd email BAD and mention this and ask them to provide you with the internal dip switch settings so you can at least check this off the list.

tnjazz said:
I don't have the details on exactly what needs to be changed, but it's possible this is also one of those units. So not faulty, just incorrectly set. I'd email BAD and mention this and ask them to provide you with the internal dip switch settings so you can at least check this off the list.

Yes, this was my situation. BAD sent me email instructions complete with pictures. The fix is easy, assuming it is the same problem.

Matt

Thanks for the intel.. Haven't tried mine with midi yet, but good to know that it could be VERY simple to fix IF it doesn't work.

TubeMan5150 said:
Synergy has posted the midi fix complete with pictures on their site under Support.

http://synergyamps.com/support/how-to-pages/40-syn2-midi-issue

Hi, I know it's been a while since this post but I have the same problem and the link above is a 404 error. Can you describe the solution Synergy gave you? They aren't responding to their Support email or their messaging services on their website. I would love to get my Syn-2s working with my GigRig G3, any help would be much appreciated!