Wet/Dry/Wet Configuration

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahatma

Reaction score
Anyone know how/if a wet/dry/wet configuration can be done using Syn2s and Syn5050s? Better yet, a W/D/W configuration with four preamp modules (two Syn2)?

Well you can't do W/D/W with a single Syn5050, just stereo or mono. For multiple SYN2s, there are instructions in the manual.

Again, the question is how can Syn2s (plural) and Syn5050s (plural) be configured for a Wet/Dry/Wet rig. Nothing in the manuals explains how to do this. I've tried contacting Synergy support at [email protected] and [email protected] but no response. Hey Synergy, if you have a support team, can you guys respond.

In order to achieve a W/D/W setup you will need additional hardware than a single power amp. In addition to your normal Dry setup you will need:

Signal splitter
Stereo effects processor
Stereo power amp
2 more cabs

If you have this hardware you can create a simple W/D/W setup like so:

Signal Split (left) – Stereo Effects (left) – power amp (left) – cab (Wet left)
|
Syn2 – Syn5050 - cab (Dry)
|
Signal Split (right) – Stereo Effects (right) – power amp (right) – cab (Wet right)

If you have more that one Syn2 take the split from the last one before the Syn5050.

You *might* be able to achieve this without a signal splitter using the DI outputs on the last SYN2 in the chain is you disable the cab emulation – I’ve not tried that out though.

Thank-you webrthomson. I've been trying to come up a portable and easy-to-setup W/D/W rig for quite some time. I already have two W/D/W rigs, both of which are impractically complex to setup and heavy to tote around for a gigging musician even though they consists of small low-powered combos. When I heard about Synergy's Syn2 and Syn5050, it got my hopes up that a W/D/W rig could be done within a relatively small flight case rack and couple of external speaker cabs.
After further consideration, I too arrived at the idea stated in your later suggestion of using the DI out for the stereo wet effects. I think this would be a simpler setup than your former one of using a splitter. The DI idea I imagine would contain a Furman power regulator, Syn2, effects module, and two Syn5050s, while containing all of the complex cable interconnectivity within a small 5 unit flight case, which wouldn't be too big or heavy to tote around. The only connectivity needed for this setup wound be for a couple of external speaker cabs - a 1X12 for the dry and 2X12 for the wet stereo. I'm confident this should work.

That sounds like a great setup, a full W/D/W in 5U is impressive indeed!

I've got mine split into 2 separate racks, dry in one and the wet in the other.

For the wet I use a Rocktron Velocity 300 which works well - I'd quite like to upgrade it to one of the 1U Matrix amps :)

You could save some weight using a solid state amp for the wet, rather than a second SYN5050?

Let us know how you get on using the DI's - I need to find the time to play about with that too!

Excellent point on the power amps. A solid state amp like the Matrix is only 8lbs. while the Syn5050 is a whopping 24lbs! Double that for two of them and I'm now looking at nearly 50 lbs. just for the power units. To its credit, the Syn5050 weighs far less than a comparable 2 unit, 50 Watts/channel Freyette weighing in at 33lbs. and still slightly less than a comparable 50 Watts/channel Engl at 26lbs. Yet another possibility is the single unit 20 Watts/channel Engl 810 tube amp weighing around 12lbs. Given that I don't need of 200 watts of total power for the entire rig, and prefer El84s over 6l6s for a more British sound, the Engl 810 seems like a better choice for me at least for the dry amp. Thanks for pointing out how heavy these single unit tube power amps can weigh.

I created a simple WDW rig with my Mod50 combo - combo is what made it simple. Dry is all handled by the Mod50 combo. Wet is mostly handled by a Line 6 HX FX which also acts as a midi controller.

Gtr -> HX FX input (front of amp effects) -> HX send -> Rocktron Rack Interface (splits signal)

Interace splits signal to Mod50 input,
H9 -> MIx 1 Rack Interface
HX FX (Return) -> HX FX wet effects -> Mix 2 of Rack Interface -> Randall R RM2-80 Power amp -> 2 Egater 1x12's

Seems complicated but I'm using 3 rack spaces - Power conditioner, Rack Interface and Power Amp - a combo and 2 1x12's

The HX FX let's you create a parallel path. If you only use it power amp you can even send both paths to outputs in stereo for a more typical Bradshaw type set up.

Thanks for your response guys. I couldn't get this information from Synergy's sale support email contact ( [email protected]
) They don't seemed to respond to inquiries.

Here is another thought about creating a W/D/W rig which would eliminate a second stereo power amp for the wet signal. Connect the SYN-2 as normal to a power amp like the SYN5050 by using the Main Outs, and using the power amp to drive a normal speaker cab for the dry signal. Then connect the SYN-2s DI Outs, with the cab simulator on, to the inputs of a stereo FX unit and the outputs of the FX unit to two powered speakers, like a pair of QSC K12, for the stereo wet signals.
I'm guessing that this idea of using the DI Outs/Simulated Cab, into and FX unit, then into a pair of Powered Speakers for the stereo wet signal, can also be used if the SYN-2 was connected into the FX loop of a regular amp head or combo. In this case the dry signal would simply pass to the head's or combo's power section and onto to the amp's speakers.