Post your rig

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ned

Reaction score
Getting ready to sell our house so I had to pack up my rig (new place will have dedicated space). So in order to keep my GAS up let's share some rigs!!!!!

I feel your pain! I'm in the middle of the same thing, everything is in storage for another month until we close on the new place...it sucks.

Right!

The wife was working on the west coast for 6 months so I could have stuff everywhere :) and play as loud as I wanted. So nice. Hoping we get this place sold this weekend and the offer in on the new place.

NICE!!!

How about some details :). My eyes are too old to see what's in those racks on my laptop.

OK, its a bit complex, but here goes,
Left rack -
1. Sound Sculpture Switchblade Gl. ( matrix routing loop switcher and line mixer)
2. Mesa Studio Preamp.
3. Engl E580 Preamp.
4. ADA MP1 Preamp (3 tube mod)
5. Randall RM4 Preamp (input bias mod)
6. Mesa TriAxis Preamp
7. Mesa Two-Nintey Poweramp.
8. Peavey Rock Master Preamp.
Right rack
1. Furman Power Conditioner.
2. KHE Electronics 8x4 Amp and Cab switcher.
3. Pedal Drawer
4. Pedal Drawer
5. Samson Patch Bay.
6. Fryette Power Station
7. Randall RT2/50 Poweramp.
8. Two Notes Torpedo Reload ( Only being used for replay function, I will sell it soon)

On top of the racks.
1. Synergy Syn 1
2. Peavey 6505+ (modded with a 2nd master volume post effects return for use with preamps and bias modded.)
3. Universal Audio Ox Amp Top Box.
4. EBS Reidmar Bass Amp

And on top of the cab is of course a Marshall JCM 800 2210. ( modded with a second master volume post effects return for use with preamps, and also modded with a resonance control)
On the floor is a Fractal Audio FX8.

This rig is designed for re-amping.
All preamps, the Fractal FX8 , and 3 loop's on the patchbay are connected to the Switchblade GL.
All Poweramp and Amp heads and Loadboxes are connected to the KHE Amp/Cab switcher.
All pedals and the Powerstation's effects loop are connected to the patchbay.

This allows me to route pretty much anything to anything in any order. I can very quickly audition different Preamps with different Poweramp and also different Cabs and Mic's through the Ox.
It was a nightmares to set up but it runs flawlessly now and sounds killer.

EL34 & 6L6 power sections with M4
quzZ7eD.jpg

6L6 and EL34 power sections with RM4
I3cFg6Y.jpg

How does the Mesa 395 sound? I've been on the hunt for one but no luck so far.

The 395 is my third favorite power section to be honest, the Jet City/Soldano design has the advantage of a full tone stack after the insert return, which makes the RM4 and modules really shine. The Sound City is loaded with vintage Mullard EL34s and has that massive Partridge output transformer, but is bass shy when going into the effects input, needs a beefy sounding 4x12 to balance all the midrange push. The 395 is more balanced sounding but less exciting.

Thanks for the feedback, and congrats on that awesome rig! I hope I'll soon be able to rival with all of you guys, because right now, I just have my guitar and a tiny amp that died last week...

shortlife said:
All preamps, the Fractal FX8 , and 3 loop's on the patchbay are connected to the Switchblade GL.
All Poweramp and Amp heads and Loadboxes are connected to the KHE Amp/Cab switcher.
All pedals and the Powerstation's effects loop are connected to the patchbay.

Had any issues with headroom on the Switchblade? I've been looking into them to switch between a rack of preamps as well but have read some concerns about headroom going between preamps, pedals, and processors.

Had any issues with headroom on the Switchblade?

Hi,

The +4db headroom ceiling on the Switchblade GL has not caused me any issues. Although I will say that it is the one and only drawback with that unit.

I just run my Preamps a little less hot than I used to in the past. For example my RM4 Preamp master is permanently
set between 10 and 11 O'clock and the module masters are normally set between 12 and one o'clock, this normally
results in an output of about Odb. Also you need to be careful with the output level of some overdrive pedals too.

Using the Switchblade software you can monitor levels between every peice of gear and optimise the signal level.

In the end I think I have ended with a better tone as I can be sure nothing is clipping at any point in the signal chain.
The Switchblade is a really great piece of gear if you can pick one up at a reasonable price.

Won't let me post an image but my rig is currently Thee (3) Syn 2's with BE/BB, HBE, Plexi, SLO, AC20, OS modules. Vai and Bogner Ecstacy modules pre-ordered (the Vai module will get a paint job before it goes in the rack. No offense Synergy. Shrek green just isn't my thing). All controlled with an Axe-Fx III.