SYN-50 vs Mod 50 heads

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Is there any argument to get a used Mod 50 over a used SYN-50 head, assuming similar condition & price? The SYN-50 has the onboard non-modular clean channel & XLR cab sim line out, Mod 50 has 2 loops (series & parallel), which I don't see as much of a plus.

EDIT: as was pointed out below- the onboard clean is only in the SYN-30, not the SYN-50.

My experience has been that the Synergy modules sound WAY better in Synergy Preamps/Amps than either my RM100 or RM20

The Mod50 does not have the cathode switching which the SYN50 does. The Mod50 does have support for tubes other than 6L6's, Synergy are very unforthcoming about the SYN-50 supporting tubes other than 6L6's.

The Syn-30 has onboard clean, the Syn-50 does not have that feature.

thanks for clarifying the onboard clean- bummer they didn't include on the SYN-50.

9985 said:
thanks for clarifying the onboard clean- bummer they didn't include on the SYN-50.

Sure is - looks very like the Friedman simple clean on the SYN30 - nice idea though!

Shame to lose a slot to a clean module, but the Friedman BB/BE looks interesting in that respect as it's clean on side dirty the other :)

So, has anyone specifically used the Synergy SLO with the Mod50 or Mod100? I am wondering if you can EQ it to where it will still sound great, since it sounds like the cathode bias is just a shelving for the bass and treble frequencies. Thanks!

Personally I prefer the poweramp of the MOD-series over the Synergy.
If you are liking the Synergy preamps which are designed for the non-Fender cathode select switch
you have to stick to the Synergy (pre)amp because of the cathode switch.

Maybe a SYN-2 preamp and a poweramp of your choice is an alternative?

Once the house move is complete I can put my Synergy SLO in my Mod50 and/or dual modded RM4.

Cool, thanks! Let me know what you think. Seriously contemplating shipping my amp to Rob at Jaded Faith for the 3 way manual cathode bias mod.

So, got a great Black Friday deal on the Synergy SLO. Love it! It sounds pretty similar to my Mr. Scary, though I actually like the crunch channel, which is less compressed, a bit more.

Wondering if the cathode bias might tighten up the bass even more and bring out more sparkle versus the standard Fender circuit on the Mod 100.

Try an EQ pedal in front of the amp and see if rolling off the lows a bit tightens it right up.