Syn2 and Helix LT looper

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markb3767

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to program MIDI for the Helix LT and Syn2 to use the Helix looper function?
I have tried presets and snapshots but the Syn2 keeps gong back to Bypass on the Syn2 as soon as I engage the looper.
Thanks!

I'm having the same issue with the big helix and the syn-2. It's definitely a midi issue. The helix looper is somehow sending a midi command that makes the syn-2 change to bypass mode. It's driving me crazy and I haven't found anyone that can figure this out.

It looks like there is a shared Midi cc message. A CC60 (value} command will trigger the “Overdub" on the Helix. That's also the Midi CC command for bypass on the Syn2. You would need to set the Helix and Syn2 on different midi channels. It's probably easier to put the Syn 2 on a different channel. It's a lot less commands to re-program on your midi footswitch.

guitarzan said:
It looks like there is a shared Midi cc message. A CC60 (value} command will trigger the “Overdub" on the Helix. That's also the Midi CC command for bypass on the Syn2. You would need to set the Helix and Syn2 on different midi channels. It's probably easier to put the Syn 2 on a different channel. It's a lot less commands to re-program on your midi footswitch.

I've been trying that but I can't get the syn-2 to change channels via midi unless it's in OMNI mode for some reason.

There's a midi switch on the back of the Syn 2 for selecting the midi channel. It's probably set on Omni which receives data from any midi channel. You need to flip that switch to the right and then pick a midi channel like 2 on the rotary dial. You need a small screwdriver for that. After that the Syn 2 will only respond to commands on that channel.

guitarzan said:
There's a midi switch on the back of the Syn 2 for selecting the midi channel. It's probably set on Omni which receives data from any midi channel. You need to flip that switch to the right and then pick a midi channel like 2 on the rotary dial. You need a small screwdriver for that. After that the Syn 2 will only respond to commands on that channel.

That’s the thing. I know about the switch. I can only get the Syn-2 to respond to midi when it’s set to Omni. Nothing works with any of the channels when the switch is set to select. This would solve my problem.

I also just checked the dip switch positions and those were already correct.

Did a live stream this morning about what I'm experiencing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=supxj_wcZ7Y

I watched the video Rich. You're doing all the right things. Seems like maybe you got a bad midi board on the Syn 2. The only other thing I can think of trying is to send a program change(PC) instead of CC. That sends a preset number and that is where the press and hold button on the Syn 2 works. The press and hold doesn't work with CCs. Midi is awesome when it's set up and working like it should. It can be a real dick too. Good luck! I hope maybe the PC will work.

guitarzan said:
I watched the video Rich. You're doing all the right things. Seems like maybe you got a bad midi board on the Syn 2. The only other thing I can think of trying is to send a program change(PC) instead of CC. That sends a preset number and that is where the press and hold button on the Syn 2 works. The press and hold doesn't work with CCs. Midi is awesome when it's set up and working like it should. It can be a real dick too. Good luck! I hope maybe the PC will work.

Thanks for watching. Unfortunately, what you saw me doing in the video was program changes. The problem is the looper sends out cc changes no matter what. I also tried dedicated cc changes while trying to see if there was a cc to stop the looper from doing what it’s doing but no luck. Haven’t heard from synergy or line 6 on this matter since I contacted both a few days ago.

Also, it's really hard to tell on my syn-2 exactly what midi channel I'm on. The switch doesn't exactly line up with the numbers on the dial. channel 1 could be 16, etc. I did try all combinations though. This is most likely the answer to this problem but I cannot get the individual midi cahnnels on the Syn-2 to do anything at all. Only omni.

Shout out to Peter at Synergy!

He suggested I switch dip switch S3 to the left to turn off midi cc commands. I can now set the Syn-2 in Omni mode and am able to switch channels and use the looper on my helix. Still not sure why single select midi channels don’t work at all but one thing at a time.