Syn 50 Head Tube Rolling

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdodson

Reaction score
I admit to being a bit of a 12AX7 snob, and I also admit that this is a marginal, not essential, pursuit.

That being said, I put some old pre-war Yugo EI 12AX7s in the 3 slots in my Synergy 50 head (running TDLX & Bogner Ecstasy Modules) and the smoothness and lushness just reached another level over the 2 ARS China and 1 ARS JJ that were in there.

I'd also put NOS in the Bogner module (that wasn't fun, sheesh).

Anyway, not to send anyone down the rabbit hole, but if you so choose, you might enjoy the results.

I used to buy the Ei tubes in the early 2000's when I was selling amp kits. I'd heard in recent times that there was something special about them. I don't remember hearing that back then so I didn't stock up or anything.

I was recently hunting for my stash of SV83 tubes and ended up finding several EI 12ax7's.

Where do you like them- v1 or all positions?

Love 'em in V1, really like 'em everywhere. Sometimes the PI needs something different.

Eis are great tubes, especially the pre-war variety. However, few describe them as smooth per se, rather they are colorful and punchy with an extended top end. Usually, they are gainier than most current production non-selected tubes.

I do love them myself, especially in Marshall style amps. I've heard they're great in a Vox AC30 too. Some call them a Telefunken on steroids, as they were made on Telefunken tooling and their long smooth plates bear a strong resemblance.

I wouldn't doubt that they could bring a nice color and clarity to a rig over current production tubes. I own at least a half-dozen and run them in my Marshall modules and in the phase inverter of some amps. A great choice as long as you don't get a microphonic one -- the later production EI's were famous for this.

Watford Valves has some of the best tube reviews out there, so you guys can get a general idea of how things sound.

Great thoughts and I agree totally regarding the EI, I wish there was comparable current production.