Recording direct with RM4

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveBalderrama

Reaction score
Hi, newbie here. I'm looking into the Randall/Egnator stuff for future consideration, and wondering if you can record direct from the RM4 preamp and how it sounds? I don't see any mention of any speaker simulation circuitry or anything in the manual.

Thanks.

Yep, the RM4 has no speaker simulation capabilities, so it'll sound pretty nasty if you try to record direct with it.

However, I did use an RM4 with a Behringer GI100 direct box (with cab simulator) for some scratch recordings last year, and was really pleased with the results. Actually, I was totally surprised by the results since the GI100 is like $30 new. Pretty sure it's a rip-off of the H&K Red Box, since Behringer has pretty much no unique designs of their own.

--B

I have one of those Behringer units.. works better than you would expect for $30 thats for sure.

How well does the XLR mic eliminator work on the RM20's? I just saw the little head unit which might be kinda cool.

bduersch said:
Yep, the RM4 has no speaker simulation capabilities, so it'll sound pretty nasty if you try to record direct with it.

However, I did use an RM4 with a Behringer GI100 direct box (with cab simulator) for some scratch recordings last year, and was really pleased with the results. Actually, I was totally surprised by the results since the GI100 is like $30 new. Pretty sure it's a rip-off of the H&K Red Box, since Behringer has pretty much no unique designs of their own.

Actually, the guy who designed the speaker simulation in the GI100 is the same guy who designed the speaker simulation in the H&K redbox. I wrote an Electronic Musician article about recording amps at low volume, and got a loaner of that very unit from Behringer. That fact is direct from them.

Orren

There are ways in which you can record directy in order to get a more direct feel to your sound. Maybe your signal could do with some EQ-ing and doubling or detuning in order to not sound that linear.

Speaking of EQ-ing: theoretically you could try and copy an existing speaker frequency curve into you EQ pattern and you get very far - though of course you won't get that power amp sound to your recording.