V2 Feedback problems Help!!!!!!! please!!!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarsociety

Reaction score
Hi all

i've had my Randall V2 about a month now and recently joined a metal band.

we play songs in drop B and C full on metal!!!!

however i realy need some help here

the V2 is letting me down big time with feedback problems

i just wanted help and advice on using a good noise gate to tackle the problem or any other method

i run the V2 on tube overdrive mode with th graphic set to a normal v pattern

cut out the mids and enable the graphic for dirty nasty distortion

which i thought randall would be able to handle easy

so if there is any V2 user's who have encounted this problem and have a solution please let me know

the other band member like the randall sound the feedback sucks

guitarsociety

First check your settings. Because the V2 has a Master level control you should always run this much higher than the level control on the preamp, especially at gig volume. The preamp levels should never get abpve 12 o'clock, otherwise your really starting to push the preamp too hard which will cause the preamp tubes to start feeding back uncontrollably. So, a recommended setting would be preamp level 10 o'clock then set the Master volume where you need it to get the desired volume. It no problem to have the Master turned up high to get the volume you need, because the Master controls the power amp where you want to get the volume from anyway.

Also, If you're just getting feedback at higher volumes and not at lower volumes than I would also suggest cutting the Gain back just a bit. The V2 tube preamp is extremely high gain and when you turn the volume up you are also increasing the distortion level, so cut it back a bit at high volumes.

If you do want a ton of distortion than I would definitely suggest a gate in the effects loop. The ISP decimator is great one that I would recommend. hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!
RD/MAN

Hi mate

i will try the settings on the amp to see if it makes a difference

The ISP decimator i have tried "you mean the chrome looking noise gate pedal"

if so it didn't do the job

i gonna try the boss ns-2 and the rocktron hush

we have even tried a rack mounted noise gate

either i have realy gotta take a look at my settings or sell the V2

it a shame because they have a great right up but suffer if you want to play metal through them

i do have one question could i clean boost the tube channel

somthing like mr zakk wylde does

thanks for you reply though its made me think

anymore thoughts or idea's post em

paul

Hi Paul,

I'm sure that adjusting the settings will help tremendously because we have had this similar issue with other customers and artists before. Try these initial settings for higher volumes, then adjust the EQ as needed.

Tube Overdrive
Gain - 6
Bass - 6
Mids - 4
Treble - 7
Level - 3
Graphic - Anyway you like it.
Master Level - 6 or 7
Density - 5
Presence - 6

Otherwise, any noise gate in the effects loop will quiet the amp immediately. However, make sure the effects loop is in the Series mode and not the Parallel. The Parallel mode should only be used for effects like delay, reverb, chorus, etc...

Let me know if this helps.
Thanks!

Hey thanks man

thanks for your reply and advice

i gonna try the settings asap

if it works i'll owe you a nice cold Beer :lol:

thanks

paul

How in the hell did the ISP not do the job.? How much gain are you using I have one that I use with it turned to 1:00 o'clock and a little bit of overdrive to give it some extra tube warmth and I DONT EVER get feedback. All those other sound gates will kill your tone the decimator is the only way to go.

hi all

to me i either have a problem with my V2 which is only a few months old
or its not the perfect head for playing metal through.

at the moment i'am running the clean channel and using a line 6 ubber metal pedal, so whats the point of the v2

the V2 is great a low volumes, just like a metal band would use but only mike up the amp through the pa's

however i have tried the settings given to me and it stil howls

i realy think randall fucked up by putting such a large transformer in the amp

me levels once again are

gain at 3 o'clock, mids cut off, bass at 12, level at 4/5 master at 12/1

the other guitarist in the band uses marshall rack amp and get a awesome gain sound and uses a rack mounted noise gate

my setup suck i'am realy pissed off with paying ?900 for a head that dosen't do a good job

if you play high gain metal then don't buy a V2!!!!!!!

are you using a noise gate in the loop again? there shouldn't be any noise if there is. You need a noise gate for ANY high-gain amp.

Also, the V2's effects loop can be turned on and off- make sure its ON and in series mode!

Hey Paul,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble find the gig level tones. I definitely reiderate what Abomb said. When using a gate in the effects loop, you must set the button in the loop section to the SERIES mode. At that point adjust the loop SEND and RETURN levels so the amp volume does not increase or decrease when you plug the noise gate in. I would say set the loop levels around 1-3 o'clock to start.

We along with several of our artists use the ISP in the V2, T2 loop and it quiets the amp completely.

Hope this last resort helps.
Thanks!

guitarsociety said:
hi all

to me i either have a problem with my V2 which is only a few months old
or its not the perfect head for playing metal through.

at the moment i'am running the clean channel and using a line 6 ubber metal pedal, so whats the point of the v2

the V2 is great a low volumes, just like a metal band would use but only mike up the amp through the pa's

however i have tried the settings given to me and it stil howls

i realy think randall f&(%ed up by putting such a large transformer in the amp

me levels once again are

gain at 3 o'clock, mids cut off, bass at 12, level at 4/5 master at 12/1

the other guitarist in the band uses marshall rack amp and get a awesome gain sound and uses a rack mounted noise gate

my setup suck i'am realy pissed off with paying ?900 for a head that dosen't do a good job

if you play high gain metal then don't buy a V2!!!!!!!

Hi.... maybe I am wrong but listen to me.....
What is your guitar? Maybe it makes problems.... like mine did once with some Peavey amps at higher gains.......

But I see picture .... you're cutting mids and pushing pre gain @ 11 if possible ... and of course, the only thing U are thinking of is Dime's sound! 8) Well U have to spent way more than ?900 (I paid mine new V2 -900 EUR :roll: ) to sound like Dime and probably some extra guitar lessons.... I do not believe what are you saying... half of Balkans new metal (not like genre) bends are using V2's and nobody is complaining.... al makes huge sound with good cabs....
I think U should go through your setup again and check that everything is on it's place.

Give me any amp and I will make feedback problems. :roll:

PS Even if you drive Enzo Ferrari you can not brake through the wall?

I have feedback with my Mesa's,Randalls,Peaveys,Crates,it's the nature of the beast my son,a noise gate works wonders,but then so does good palm muting and a fast volume hand! :D

Check your pickups, if theyre a bit dodgy you could get severe microphonic feedback. I used to get the same on an old yamaha no matter what rig I ran it through I got nasty feedback, switched pickups and all of a sudden, very little feedback.

Also make sure your pickups arent too close to your strings as the output of the guitar being too high can severely affect the sound, since it increases the output signal of the guitar.

What size room are you using the amp in (also what are the acoustics like?)? These randalls aren't exactly bedroom amps, especially if you're using a 4x12 cab with it! Are you trying to run that line6 pedal through the V2 as well?

Gainwise, have you considered that you may be using too much gain? I play in a 'Brutal Fucking Metal' band and on my T2 I don't need to go past 2'oclock on the gain at high levels and the most I have ever gone to is 3/4 on my old G2, and tbh that was too much. Put your ear at speaker level (not right next to it though!) to get a true representation of what the tone sounds like, it will probably sound alot different to what you hear standing upright, and you may even end up sticking some mid back into the mix!

Incidentally, does anyone find that their noise gate works better pre-preamp as opposed to in the FX loop of the T2? Mine doesn't really do much in the FX loop -and yes, I have checked that the loop mode is series! Feedback is never really an issue, but it would save me alot of extra cables if I can get the gate working in the loop instead.

First off I'm pretty sure that this post is from last year.

As far as the noise gates go, any gate will be most effective at cutting feedback if they are placed in the front of your amp. It dosen't matter how transparent a gate says it is, it will kill your dynamics if you place it in the loop, especially if you are using extreme settings. Hands down the 2 best gates out there are the Boss NS-2 and the ISP Pro Rack G. Both of these allow your amps preamp to be placed in the pedals loop. Their gates only open when they are triggered by a clean guitar signal, but they actually gate the signal coming out of the FX Loop. By using either of these gates your dynamics will stay in place and you can have a DEAD SILENT setup.

Haha, special brigade, for some reason it was at the top of the T2 forum so thought I would interfere haha!

Yeah I did notice a difference in tonal quality having it in the loop (I have the NS2). When you say putting the pre-amp in the gates FX loop, what do you mean exactly?

Cheers,

Dan

If you are just pluging into your NS-2 and then into your amp you are missing out on 1/2 of what makes that pedal great. Make sure you loop is set to serial and plug in you rig like this:

Guitar->NS-2 Input
NS-2 Send->V2 Input
V2 FX Loop Send->NS-2 Return
NS-2 Out->V2 FX Loop Return

This will isolate the preamp and only open the gate w/ your clean guitar signal. You'll notice that you no longer have to worry about a little bit of preamp noise like when the gate is just in the front of the amp, and you'll have more dynamic range in your playing than if you had the gate in loop.

Ah brilliant! I thought you were getting at something like that, but didn't know you could do that with the amp, I have been using the NS2's loop in a different manner since I was using it for the actual FX loop itself (Electroharmonix hot tubes + a Flanger).

Thanks alot for that. Also, what is the recommended input level into the pre-amp?

You can put anything that adds gain to your signal in that loop before the pre. So any overdrive or like the hot tubes you are using. I too like my phaser and flanger before the preamp but any delay or reverb would go after the NS-2 and before the T2's FX Return.

As for the optimum level, it's really whatever you want it to be. Obviously depending on the style of music you are playing that changes. Single coils will have a low out put and sound better for cleans. I personally dig having a little bit of a gain boost in the front and running the gain lower on the amp and then kicking in the hi gain channel or another overdrive for solos. You just need enough signal so it sounds good to you.

Oh right, thats good, I was always told that amps had a certain input level on the pre that was optimum and if you exceeded that input level your sound would effectively end up clipping, in the same way that if you plug a line level instrument into a microphone input you can potentially damage the input, or get severe clipping.

That's very true for recording gear (especially digital pieces) and PA power amps. You definitely don't want too much signal going into those because they will clip and cause distortion. The difference is that w/ guitar amplifiers we are TRYING to get that clipping and distortion. Overloading the input of the amplifier soft compression and dirt that we like but for recoding other instruments or vocals through a PA it sounds pretty terrible.