Rig Help

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gimme_AD

Reaction score
Whats Up, This being my first post I am new to this forum and I need som help deciding on a new amp. I am looking at replacing my peavey JSX for a more METAL head. I am looking for a really strong punchy tone. Something on the lines of Parkway Drive, Killswitch Engage, Arsis, Despised Icon, Emmure. If you havent heard any of theses bands check out some of their songs so you can hear the tone I am looking for. I was looking at Krank Rev1, Mesa Dual Rectifier, or Randall T2. The reason why I am looking at the T2 is that I have heard good things about it, it's affordable, half tube/half SS and If I got it I would probablly boost it with a tube screamer(Maxon OD808). Would this be a good metal amp. Thanks.

BTW, I don't know If I posted this in the right section so If I did My bad

First of all those are some great bands you are into. The T2 will be able to get you in that territory but you will have to use the Maxon for a boost. The T2 is more like a JCM800 w/ more gain. You may also want to check out the RM50 w/ a Blackface and Ultra XL. This head would be in between the Rev1 and DR price wise and would be way more versitile. Jim from Aris is actually using the Ultra XL on tour right now and on thier new album.

RD/Rich said:
First of all those are some great bands you are into. The T2 will be able to get you in that territory but you will have to use the Maxon for a boost. The T2 is more like a JCM800 w/ more gain. You may also want to check out the RM50 w/ a Blackface and Ultra XL. This head would be in between the Rev1 and DR price wise and would be way more versitile. Jim from Aris is actually using the Ultra XL on tour right now and on thier new album.

I know, thats why I have been debating getting one of these cause of their great prices I am kind of skeptical. I thought Jim had a RM100? I am just debating between the RM50 and the T2 cause I really love tube sound but don't know how the T2 is on that. With my band right now I am running an Ibanez S prestige(S1520FB from 2000) straight into the JSX(using the amps Noise Reducer) and I just can't find the great chunky metal tone that all the bands I listed use.

BTW, have you seen Jim's new prototype Vs from Washburn. The day those come out I am definitly gonna try to get one.

I think you would dig the T2 for the music you like, but there isn't going to be enough gain for you. For some guys this is the breaking point because they don't want to use a boost. Tone wise it would be perfect.

You are right Jim is using the RM100, I was referencing him using the Ultra XL. I was in the room when he first checked them out and they are very cool. I think one of the guys from The Faceless also has one now. I don't do much on the Washburn side of things, but I do believe these will be coming out in January.

I really dig the Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier sound. If I had that much money I know I would throwdown but I am looking for an amp thats simpler, costs less, and still delivers massive amounts of gain(Arsis's other guitarist uses a boogie btw). I also want an amp thats gonna deliver my pinch harmonics(like the one's you usually hear Killswitch or Parkway Driveplay) and not give off weak crappy pinch harmonics like my JSX. So are you trying to say If I boost the T2 it still might not give enough gain for me or if I boost it it will be sick. I also saw Michael Amott, the dude from Nightrage and several other guys use G2 Valve-State stuff. Christian Olde from fear factory also switched from Krank Revolutions to Randall V2s and there stuff sounded awesome before so maybe this Randall stuff is better?

No you'll definitly have enough gain for what you want to do but to give the amp a little more saturation you'll want the boost. usually I just set everything on 7 and set the volume to match the room and I'm ready to go. You might want to take the mids back to about 4 depending on how scooped you like it. Pick squeals shouldn't be a problem either it's just down to where you set your mids at and your technique.

The Valve-Dynamic amp that Mike Ammot is using is the V2 (same power section as the T2) and he also using the RM100. Check out the new Arch Enemy because that has T2 all over it (plus the CD rules and the solos are killer if you like that sort of thing).

One thing I will tell you. The DR and Rev's are very bright amps that have a lot of edge to them. If you aren't careful these amps can be very fizzy sounding (think Dimebag). With extreme EQ settings the T2 can get that same incredibly bright tone, but it's a lot warmer sounding w/ a bit more low end because of the Valve-Dynamic power section (think KSE's Fixation on the Darkness). If you find yourself wanting that brighter tone go w/ the RM50 or RM100 w/ 6L6's and get an Ultra XL.

Very helpful! I really like the way that KsE cd(Alive or Just Breathing0was produced in the first place so that helps but I want the tone really Parkway Drivish which is very similar to KsE(considering Adam D produced all of their albums lol)but its a bit darker and deeper if you know what I am trying to say. Just check out their myspace and thats incredibly close to the tone I want. I think Ill go check out the Arch Enemy Cd to hear that T2 or V2.

I suggest you get the Egnater Erect module. You can typically win one on ebay for about $280. It is a copy of the dual rectifier circuit, and it really chunks up when you mid scoop it. Just put the treble control at 3 o'clock, the mid control at 9 o'clock, and the bass control at 3 o'clock. This module will work in the Randall RM50 or RM100. Maybe there is also a Randall module for this tone?

But the Marshall tone modules will not chunk up no matter how you manipulate the tone stack on the module. If you get a parametric EQ pedal to mid scoop it on the effects loop though, you will get chunk. But the parametric EQs are so expensive, you might as well buy the Recto module. Graphic EQs don't do as good a job, and they are noisy.

If I could only have two modules (I have them all), I'd get the Egnater SL and the Egnater Erect. The Recto can also do a Vox like clean tone. The Egnater modules are all two channel, with two gain and master volumes on each module. Both channels are accessible if you use them in an Egnater head or rack unit. But only one channel functions if you put it in a Randall head or rack unit. The SL does Plexi on one channel and JCM 800 on the other. The Erect module is the same on both channels.

tonesponge said:
I suggest you get the Egnater Erect module. You can typically win one on ebay for about $280. It is a copy of the dual rectifier circuit, and it really chunks up when you mid scoop it. Just put the treble control at 3 o'clock, the mid control at 9 o'clock, and the bass control at 3 o'clock. This module will work in the Randall RM50 or RM100. Maybe there is also a Randall module for this tone?

The Randall George Lynch Grail module is as close as you'll get to the ERECT module.

Sevendust have used the solidstate Randalls for years. I think they currently use the V2 now, and they sound huge.
I previously owned a Mesa Recto and in my opinion, my RM100 with Egnater Erect module absolutely blows my old Recto out of the water. The vesatility of different tones with the Modules and also much less buzz / fizz than my Recto makes this amp my pick if you can afford it. Breaking Benjamin use the RM50 if you want to reduce your budget a bit.