"Buzzy" distortion in Plexi module

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldsparkletop

Reaction score
Yesterday I finally got to fire up my RM4...

Was a little surprised that my Plexi module sounded "buzzier" than I was expecting. I tried one of these out in a store over a year ago and didn't remember it sounding like this.

Though I bought it new, my Plexi module is obviously old stock and contains the original 470 ohm resistor, which Randall recommends changing in the clean modules. I think I am going to go ahead and change this resistor to the newer spec 150 ohm version, but I was still wondering if anyone else has done this with their Plexi and what the result was.

Thanks for any feedback.

Gary

I did it with mine. It can only help. The reason they gave to change the thing was due to a clipping problem which was causing some unwanted distrotion on the clean modules. I changed mine wnyway and I also changed it on all my high gain modules as well. Plus if you have any soldering skills at all you can get 5 of the 150 ohm resistors for a buck at Radio Shack.

RD Man from Randall said the cap mod would take away from the true plexi vibe on that module. It was the one higher gain module that he suggested NOT doing the cap mod to. That being said, I did it to mine before he stated that fact and I do like the results.
~Kurt

I haven't done the change to mine but haven't felt the needs. There is a thread under Rigs & Tones that links to my bands demo which is mostly the plexi module or Vox with a Barber Silver LTD.

I set my plexi with everything at 2 oclock and bass at 10 oclock - volume tuned to balance Vox channel.

Kurtis, just to clarify, I'm not talking about doing the cap mod to my Plexi...I'm talking about doing the resistor swap that Randall recommended for the clean modules. The original 470 ohm resistor apparently caused clipping at the input stage in the clean modules.

Gary

Just do the resistor mod it wont hurt anything. I did it to mine and it sounds great. Like I said, you can get 5 150 ohm resistors from Radio Shack for a whopping $1.

goldsparkletop said:
Kurtis, just to clarify, I'm not talking about doing the cap mod to my Plexi...I'm talking about doing the resistor swap that Randall recommended for the clean modules. The original 470 ohm resistor apparently caused clipping at the input stage in the clean modules.

Gary
Ahhh sorry I miss read your original post..
~Kurt