Converting an Eggie SL+ to an SL... (single ch)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joey_truelove

Reaction score
Dales district, Sweden - heartland of Swedish folk
I realise the SL+ included with the M-4 I'm looking into might be a touch to hot for my liking. I really would need a goode auld SL, but since the SL+ is part of the deal I would either have to sell it and chase down an SL (a new, 2 ch one sounds costy to me - a used 1 ch sounds close to impossible) or somehow trying to turn the SL+ into an SL.

Does somebody know on component level where the SL and SL+ differ? I'm friends with the solder iron, so changing a few components of the PCB shouldn't pose any problem. Most modifications I've heard of are for Randall modules, and though the Eggies and the Rannies are interchangable the circuitboards are not absolute carbon copies of oneanother.

Cheers!

PS. If I don't recieve any replies I could get back when I have the module in my hand and I can write down the exact values of each and every component, so we can compare values with the SL.

guitarguy510 said:
Shoot Bruce an email at [email protected] explaining exactly what you did above and he might be able to help you out with your problem. Good luck!
Cheers mate! You sure he would fill me in on discontinued products and how to tamper with them like that? Probably it's just a question of a resistor or a cap change. Good luck with those Earcandy Cabs, btw.

joey_truelove said:
Does somebody know on component level where the SL and SL+ differ? I'm friends with the solder iron, so changing a few components of the PCB shouldn't pose any problem. Most modifications I've heard of are for Randall modules, and though the Eggies and the Rannies are interchangable the circuitboards are not absolute carbon copies of oneanother.

To my knowledge the big difference on the marshall type Modules is the cap/Resistor values, and the fact that the caps are all high tolerance, and the Resisters are Carbon Composition (old school). I beleive the op amps are higher spec'd parts too. In general, it's some different values, and parts quality taken up a few notches. However some of the modules, are supposedly very different, like the Recto and Fender Modules.

Bruce had once said in an email that the Randall SL+ Was very close to an Egnater SL2. I inquired about what changes to make, but never got a response. Not sure why that happened as he's a busy guy, but I'llsay from a support point of virew he's ALWAYS been EXTREMELY Helpful.

He even got my (USED!) RT-2/50 fixed for FREE when it blew up on me!

BTW, if anyone knows the parts changes to make an Randall SL+ an Egnater SL2 I would LOVE to hear it, even an EGNATER version layout if anyone's got it. Thanks.

NuSkoolTone said:
joey_truelove said:

To my knowledge the big difference on the marshall type Modules is the cap/Resistor values, and the fact that the caps are all high tolerance, and the Resisters are Carbon Composition (old school). I beleive the op amps are higher spec'd parts too. In general, it's some different values, and parts quality taken up a few notches. However some of the modules, are supposedly very different, like the Recto and Fender Modules.

Bruce had once said in an email that the Randall SL+ Was very close to an Egnater SL2. I inquired about what changes to make, but never got a response. Not sure why that happened as he's a busy guy, but I'llsay from a support point of virew he's ALWAYS been EXTREMELY Helpful.

He even got my (USED!) RT-2/50 fixed for FREE when it blew up on me!

BTW, if anyone knows the parts changes to make an Randall SL+ an Egnater SL2 I would LOVE to hear it, even an EGNATER version layout if anyone's got it. Thanks.
Thanx. If I'm still not clear enough we're talking the Egnater Marshall modules. I'm aware that this subject is of the more complex kind. Maybe I should just get the thing first and we can compare components later.

Since the Marshall chunkiness ough to be the same on both modules albeit the SL+ is hotter there would be less components to replace turning the SL+ into an SL than, let's say from a Twin module.