Power amp tube question on T2

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

80%NINJA

Reaction score
Can you change the tube that is buffering the mosfet power amp to a 12AU7? I'm looking to have a little less sizzle in the gain and more crunch. I had a pair of Chinese 12AX7s that I replaced the JJs with on the gain channel and it fattened up the tone with a little less sizzle allowing me to turn the gain knob up a bit more for more crunch. It seems that with the right tube combination this amp could possibly reach that PERFECT TONE status. Would changing the tube in the power section to one with less distortion take some sizzle out. I am a huge fan of having a huge fat crunch instead of a thin sizzly mesa type gain. Any advice from the RD guys at Randall that surf this forum on the tube type change in the power section would be greatly appreciated.

Two T2's +Two Randall cabs= pure bliss, mad neighbors, and a constant ringing in my ears.

You can defiantly try a lower gain tube in there although the difference in tone may only be marginal. That tube in the power section is more to give a specific fell to the amp. I haven?t tried anything different myself, but I would very interested to here what you find.

Yeah I understand the whole valve dynamic circuit and giving the amp the tube bounce, warmth, and cabinet flex to emulate an all tube amp. I had read where someone put a 12AX7 in there and it made the amp sound like a buzzsaw. In my RM100 I always used a power tube that had less break up early to get a smoother gain rather that sizzly and used pre amp tubes that had a tad less gain and a rounder fuller sound. So I was curious as to if it would work the same on the valve dynamic circuit tube. I'm pretty sure it will smooth it out a little, but I'm curious volts wise if it has to specifically have an 12AT7 to make the circuit work properly. If not the tube change would be worth it to get less sizzle.
Is anyone doing any gain stack mods or any other cool stuff to T2 amps yet?

I was surprised to hear you say that you thought the amp was sizzily (sp?). Usually most people are looking for more sizzle from these. What speakers are in the Randall cabs you have?

At the moment nobody has been doing anything to the V2/T2 which is too bad because both of these amps are killer. The T2 is going to be my next purchase and the Ninja that I have at home has actually really surprised me.

I'm more of a thick crunch fan rather than a trebly sizzle fan. Now don't get me wrong I have compared the T2 to my RM100 XTC mod and a Splawn quick rod (tons of thick gain) side by side and the T2 is way more metal voiced and tighter. i have messed with the eq on the T2 and now run a MXR eq pedal through the front and it has brought a little more crunch out. As far as speakers I'm currently using a Randall CB with GT 75's. They are normally bright speakers, but these are about 12 years old with mega playing hours and have a good neutral smooth tone to them. I want to get a RSXLT-100 cab to run one of my T2 heads through and replace my 1960A.
I listened to your Ninja clip-good riffage bro-the tone was good.

I'm still curious about switching the power section tube to a 12AU7, but I currently have found the perfect tubes for the T2 preamp. Shuguang 12AX7s are the way to go. These are the same tubes that are rebranded by Ruby/Groove Tubes and are used in the XTC module. It fattens up the tone, less sizzle, more crunch, and is very warm. They have a tad less gain than the JJs, but is cured by a slight turn of the gain knob. These tubes made a HUGE difference and the tone absolutely rips! No more thin sounding gain. I'm pretty sure that they would have the same effect on the V2. You guys may want to give a set of them a shot if you want a fuller fatter tone.

Dude...I just put a GT Marshall High Gain Kit in my V2 and it friggin slays. Thick gain and fat crunch. Well worth the price tag of $65.

Sounds just like the tubes I put in my T2 are probably the same as the ones that come in the Marshall kit since the Shuguang tubes are the ones GT rebrands. Waaaaaay better tone than JJs or EH or any other thin sounding tubes IMHO. If you compare the plate size or length of the GTs against the EH or JJs it shoud be considerably longer. I guess that is what gives it a cleaner fatter crunch rather than a thin sizzle. I paid $24 for three plus $4 shiping for the Shuguangs and I have a couple of Shuguang 12AT7s coming from another company $8 a piece. I'm thinking changing the power section circuit tube to one that is fatter will make the tone even better. Of course a fatter tone is more pleasing to my ears, but may not be to someone else who prefers the JJs or EHs. Its all in what you like. I like my tone just like my women FAT! Just kidding.

Okay, just installed the Shuguang 12AT7 replacing the JJ. First impression was on the clean channel. It made the clean have more of a full bodied sound. A lot warmer in my opinion. I'm not really sure how the valve dynamic circuit works, but it seems that changing the tube in it makes a difference in the overall sound you get. I have had a EH then a JJ and now the Shuguang in the circuit. The shuguang makes the amp sound and feel even more like a real all tube amp. Not a huge difference on the gain channels since the amp has so much bass and muscle already. I have all Shuguang tubes in my T2 now and it sounds sweet. The best part is to change out all four plus shipping will only cost you under $40 bucks verses the $60-70 price tag for the rebranded GT or Rubys that are the same tubes.
I have another T2 that I want to retube with something different. Does anyone have any Mullards or other vintage type tubes installed? To me this amp seems to like a tube with more warm fatter tone rather than a thin fizzy one.