Real bad tones out of the new KH modules

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tung

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxFfqwAxxAs

This guy just got a real shitty tone out of the KH2 and KH3 to my ears. Let's hope that's not how these new modules really sound .

Already posted that days ago, check this instead:

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=3277

The Guitar World demo was just garbage, Rich did a much better job.

I was watching this video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG8nROD6Vtc

Listening to Kirk talk about his new amp annoys me.
He sounds like he just barely knows the idea behind what's what with his new amp. Maybe he's trying to talk about it in a general context for everyone to understand, but his explanation was poor.

While the modules sound great (from Rich's audio clip) - I'm not sure that with a little tweaking, current modules can't get very similar tones.

jimosity said:
I was watching this video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG8nROD6Vtc

Listening to Kirk talk about his new amp annoys me.
He sounds like he just barely knows the idea behind what's what with his new amp. Maybe he's trying to talk about it in a general context for everyone to understand, but his explanation was poor.

While the modules sound great (from Rich's audio clip) - I'm not sure that with a little tweaking, current modules can't get very similar tones.

I agree with you totally, Jim. Kirk was trying to do a "general public" kind of spiel, but it came across like he barely knows what he's talking about.
That guy who does the GW demonstrations annoys the **** out of me.
All I heard so far was nothing i can't get with the high gain modules I'm using now: Brown ,XTC and 1086.
The KH1 sounds just like a Blackface, but I wouldn't mind checking it out still.

it did say in guitar world that they were modded existing modules. they sound pretty good to me though, i'm definetley getting that kh-3, sounds pretty mean to me. if you notice how the amp was set on that gw demo its no wonder the results weren't great. but i didn't think it was that bad, rich's was alot better for sure. i 've heard that gw dude do alot worse. so far though i'm pretty impressed as are alot of other people, can't wait to get ahold of one.

maximus1 said:
it did say in guitar world that they were modded existing modules. they sound pretty good to me though, i'm definetley getting that kh-3, sounds pretty mean to me. if you notice how the amp was set on that gw demo its no wonder the results weren't great. but i didn't think it was that bad, rich's was alot better for sure. i 've heard that gw dude do alot worse. so far though i'm pretty impressed as are alot of other people, can't wait to get ahold of one.

Not many people seem to like ultra-scooped tones...am curious to see what those modules can do with mids 12 o'clock and above....am kind of wondering if they will basically sound like a version of the Plexi though :-/

yeah its pretty much a standard these days to not scoop mids. while it may sound good when no one else is playing it is probably the worst thing to do in a band situation, and is the main factor for that overly loud guitar player who seems to constantly say " i can't hear myself ". i'm big fan of lower mids and not too much into higher mids but those do give you tremendous cutting power which is key for the band , must be why my ultra xl still remains my favorite. i do wonder how the marshall based kh modules will be covering mainly mesa style tones though. it doesn't seem logical but from rich's demo's they seem promising. can't wait to get that kh-3 although that kh-2 sounds pretty killer as well :twisted:

Not long ago I read an article about how Metallica's amp's and tones have evolved. Supposedly, they started with Marshall's up through Puppets...then switched to Mesa's, but still used the Marshall's power sections through Justice. Black album may have been the 1st with primarily Mesa's. My timeline could be wrong, but it's close.

So, the Marshall-esque tones may be Lightning or Puppets? Something to consider, I guess.

Scott

Well, they used Marshalls on Kill 'Em All but Lightning's dirty tones were mostly pedal based, so I wouldn't really count that as a Marshall sound. Puppets was the first using the Mark IIc.

However, one very important thing to note here is that although James was using Mesa for the signature sound of Metallica for years, Kirk had been playing Marshalls on every album for some solo pieces. Live, Kirk would bring Marshall heads and both of their power amps were loaded with both 6L6 and EL34 tubes.

Latest posts