KH mods

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lloyd

Reaction score
What are the KH mods similar to? KH2 like the brown with better components?I want the mod that is like a older hot rodded Marshall not JCM 800 more like a superlead or Plexi with more Umphjavascript:emoticon(':?')

From what I've read on this board, KH-2 and KH-3 are based on the Plexi and therefore should be exactly what you are looking for.

Do a search on RD/Rich and KH-2 baby! ;)

I asked this question... which mod is best for hot rodded JAM 800 tones and was told by RDDoug that the KH-2 is THE mod.

JKD said:
From what I've read on this board, KH-2 and KH-3 are based on the Plexi and therefore should be exactly what you are looking for.

Do a search on RD/Rich and KH-2 baby! ;)

From what I read, Kirk was asking for the old Van Halen sound - I can't imagine that not being similar to the Brown module.

The KH-2 seems to be a favorite among the RD guys. We'll have to wait awhile longer and see :cry:

tung said:
The KH-2 seems to be a favorite among the RD guys. We'll have to wait awhile longer and see :cry:

It was my favorite when we tried the KH-2 and KH-3 (the KH-1 wasn't ready when we were visiting Randall). That's not to say the -3 isn't good--far from it. Just that in my opinion, during our quick overview of the amps on display the -2 was my pick of the litter.

vindaloo said:
tung said:

It was my favorite when we tried the KH-2 and KH-3 (the KH-1 wasn't ready when we were visiting Randall). That's not to say the -3 isn't good--far from it. Just that in my opinion, during our quick overview of the amps on display the -2 was my pick of the litter.

Yes, it looked like you guys had a great time during that visit. What did the KH-2 sounded like to you? From what I gathered, it's like a cross between the Brown and the XTC

tung said:
Yes, it looked like you guys had a great time during that visit. What did the KH-2 sounded like to you? From what I gathered, it's like a cross between the Brown and the XTC

It's hard to say--I've never played a Brown module and it's been a while since I have played an XTC. My current favorite module is the SL+ with a couple of RFT tubes in it--that's my main channel in my current setup, so that gives you some idea of where I'm coming from. The tone pots on the KH modules are so sensitive and so broad you can really dial in a great sound. Some of the guys were getting killer mid-scooped shred sounds, whereas I found a chunky, mid-range sound similar to the SL+ but with more...balls, i guess is the best way I can put it. The interesting thing is that where the -2 leaves off at full gain, the -3 picks up with the gain around 1 o'clock. So the -3 can really get nasty :)

Keep in mind a few things:
1) tone is subjective
2) we weren't using our own equipment so our tone reference is gonna be a bit off (we ran through a variety of Washburn and Parker guitars)
3) we were louder than bedroom level, but not at full-out band practice level
4) this was also about a month ago, so i'm sure my memory is a bit fuzzy ;)

If you have a chance, give these modules a good workout--they cover a good range of tones and they sound killer. The Randall guys have really done their homework! Oh, and if you ever get the opportunity to visit the Randall/Washburn offices take them up on it and say 'hi' to the crew. They're a great group who really listen to and care about customer satisfaction :D

yeah,i think vindaloo said it well.the KH2,imo,is like a "ever-so-slightly" less mid-honky BROWN module with tighter pick attack.the KH series E.Q. pots are VERY responsive.i thought that the KH2 & KH3 sounded perfect,each in their own respects,right out of the box and should please most everyone.no mods needed on these babies!!!