Help with Randall RM100M Head

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samrad

Reaction score
Hey guys, new here!

I just got a RM100M head with Blackface, Rectifier and 1086 modules, I love it!

A few questions -

1. I own a Line6 POD XT Live, I cannot get it to work in the effects loop, does anyone have any suggestions for that, or should I run it in front?

2. Does any one have any good settings you can post for the Recto or 1086 modules, I am looking for a Michael Amott (Arch Enemy) or Anders Bjorler (The Haunted) type sounds in lead and rhythm.

Anyway, nice to be here!

Which FX loop are you using? If your using the parallel loop you need to turn the Effects knob up on the front panel.

I havent gotten my 1086 yet, but the haunted rule. I got to see them here a few years back with shai hulud, bleeding through, and some locals and they were amazing.

I play in a band that uses similar tones, but my module for that righ tnow is the xtc. I have the gain maxed, bass is at 11 oclock, mid is at 4 oclock, treble is at like 2 oclock and the level is around 11 oclock. I try and feel out the level and master to have the master cranking as much as possible, but i cant recall where i set it for live because i usually feel out the room. Presence is at 2-4 oclock and density is at 3-4 oclock.

Im making up for muddy pickups right now so that setting may prove a bit bright.

Not positive but I believe that the Haunted uses Peavey 5150 II's EXCLUSIVELY for their guitar stuff, so I would say look to whatever module does that's sound the best. I'm thinking the 1086 sounds more in the vein of a modded mesa/marshall, not so much a 5150 tone. Not sure about the Ultra XL, I was told that might sound like a 5150 but again, since I haven't played that one I don't want to say buy it! lol :)

seeing as you dudes know real heavy metal what do the two of you think of the 1086. I can either get a silverface ultra for 100 bucks new at my local shop or buy one of those offline. I want this to be the last module i need for heavy heavy metal. the xtc doesnt cut it and the rectified sounds muddy as hell; granted those hz's in my jackson blow!

thoughts...ideas haha

oh yeah..

and bbe sonic stomps. With a really hot pickup and a 1086 are they still usefull?

-dave

Spider:

First, BUY THE 1086!!! lol :lol: Trust me when I say that thus far, it is THE best high gain preamp module out! The ultra is okay, but seriously, the 1086 is in a league by itself. Amazing high gain tones, and it can CUT through the mix like no ones business. Buying the Ultra for $100 IMO would be waste of your money now that the 1086 is out. Some people like the sound of the Ultra module, but chances are pretty good they haven't A/B'ed it with the 1086 yet! :wink: I'm not selling them and I don't work for Randall, so my opinion is unbiased too btw. I honestly think you should get the 1086... you will realize that it covers pretty much all the high gain tones you would need, AND it has it's OWN sound. I say just check it out.... you will be pleased! :D

Secondly, I have found that with a GOOd tube amp, you should't REALLY need a sonic maximizer, but some people prefer the way they sound. It's all about personal preference. I have found that usually with tube amps, the sonic maximizer has a tendency to make your sound almost "over-processed" instead of organic, like tubes SHOULD sound IMO. With the Randall/Egnater stuff, I personally think they are best without it. SonicStomp and the rackmount Sonic Maximizer are best utilized with digital stuff like the POD/POD XT or other digital processing units.

BTW sir, if you think your stock HZ's suck (I think so too, some people swear by them... I dunno, not a fan of the HZ's myself either!) try swapping them out for an active EMG 81/81 or 81/85 set. It will make a world of difference in your tone/harmonics if you play metal! :shock: