New Rig Idea

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muskpsmesane

Reaction score
Hey guys im looking at getting an rm100m. And then im looking into getting a rack set up for effects and other stuff like that. Im not very familiar with midi, in and thru, effects loop, parallel loop, series loop or any of that stuff but heres the rig im looking at and im just trying to figure out if it will work together with the rm100m being the powerhouse of it all.

Randall RM100M loaded with Blackface, XTC(possibly), and (?).

Rack setup:
Furman power conditioner, the exact one im still not sure of.
Korg tuner.
Shure wireless eventually
Line 6 filter pro
Line 6 mod pro
Line 6 echo pro
Possible rack shelf to hold my mxr smart gate and sonic stomp. (Dont know if i will need the sonic stomp yet or not)

Thats basically it. What does the power conditioner actually do besides work for just being able to turn on one button to activate your whole rig?

If you don't already own the Line6 stuff I would just get the Pod XT Pro as it contains the Mod, Echo and I think Filter pro plus you get an amp back up. You will also save money and a rack space.

Abondon the sonic stomp.

Power conditioner protects your entire system from electricity spikes and line noise.

I would go black face, 1086 and XTC.

Those individual ones are discontinued and i can get them on ebay for about 2-300 dollars a piece, the pod xt pro is i think 700. I was looking at the pod xt pro for my actual amp a long time ago and decided against it. plus these 3 effects processors are all that i need for my effects, and if i get like tc electronic g major or something like that or the pod xt pro i htink its just a bunch of stuff i will never use u know. Some peoplse said the sonic stomp works well then some said it doestn. thanks though. i appreciate it.

ned said:
If you don't already own the Line6 stuff I would just get the Pod XT Pro as it contains the Mod, Echo and I think Filter pro plus you get an amp back up. You will also save money and a rack space.

Abondon the sonic stomp.

Power conditioner protects your entire system from electricity spikes and line noise.

I would go black face, 1086 and XTC.

Hey Ned. I've been contemplating the Pod XT Pro just for effects (and maybe cab and mic sim for recording) for a while. It works pretty well as an effects-only processor? How are the A<->D converters?

If you find an Echo Pro for $300 your the man. I've seen them average $425 on eBay.

I haven't actually used the Pod XT Pro (don't own one) but I'm considering it. Using an old Rocktron Multivalve now.

From my experience (with the Pod Pro XT), you just can't turn off enough to use only the effects. There will always be the Line6 tone coloration. As always, your mileage may vary.

The only work around I can think of is to put the Pod in the effects loop and then just dial in the amount you want but leaving the direct path clear.

So i will be able to hook all that stuff up that i want while using the randall rm100m? I know of course the head itself only has about one or so inputs for effects but since i will have a whole bunch of stuff on my rack going on isnt there something u plug all ur effects and stuff into that is on ur rack and then run just one chord to the head itself? Is that what the power conditioner does as well?

I might be able to help some.

If I had that equipment, I would:

1) not bother with the sonic stomp. I have a BBE Sonic Maximizer from years ago. . don't use it at all.
2) pick one good multieffects processor (Eventide Eclipse 3.0 maybe?) if you really use effects a lot and want to spend the money.
3) get a cheap Rocktron Xpression (or one of their other processors) to handle anything where you need more than the 2 algorithms of the eclipse. (I actually only use the Xpression in a small wet/dry/wet setup and it works just fine.)
4) forget the wireless unless you absolutely have to have it
5) get the rack ISP Decimator (if you are going to be spending a ton of money) if you need noise reduction. If you aren't doing super-high-gain, you might not need it.

The power conditioner is there to protect your gear. You'll want to plug everything into it.
You'll want to decide if you want to use the parallel effects loop or the serial effects loop. With the Rocktron stuff, the series loop is fine since the dry is in analog with those. I don't have experience with Eclipse, so I'm not sure about that.

I guess overall I'd recommend getting the amp and see what you think you need from there. You may not need all that.

Cool man thanks for your input. Yeah i was going to just buy the rm100m off of muscians friend a long time ago once i got all the money but then i started thinking about it again. I figure im supposed to get my first truck seeing as how i just graduated high, in about 3 days and im going to drive down to elizabeth city to try out some randall gear cause there isnt a dealer in the state of Va that stocks randall. Which really sucks. But yeah i went and tried out the mesa dual rec too u know before i made up my mind on the randall, and the dual rec did nothing for me at all. I love the tones that come out of the peavy 5150 but i love the versatility of the rm100m. So if they only made a module based off of the 5150 id be set ha.

If the tc electronics g-system wasnt so much money i would suggest that. It has all the effects you need and you can program it to run your RM 100. I have found that the RM 100 sounds great without any effects at all. So dont get a whole lot of effects that will colour you already great tone, but compliment it. When i had my RM4 set up i had the sonic maximizer. I found that i liked the tone without it. But in the end it is up to you and your ears to find what YOU like.