Brahma Module..."Tried it/Played it" thread!!!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks much. I have an RM100 head. I keep forgetting the trick about turning the master volume up loud and using the mod's level control for the actual volume.

well,after reading some of the comments on this thread,i finally went out and bought an O/D pedal,a week ago.it's been years & years since i last had one.ended up purchasing a BBE Green Screamer.man,this pedal makes my BRAHMA module absolutely sound sweet.also does good things for my SL+.i did some a/b'ing between my BRAHMA and a PLEXI module.they both sound real nice,with a pedal "boost",but the BRAHMA has exceptionally sweet "mids".a nice vowel-ly tone to it...i'm really glad i bought this pedal.it has a true bypass switch and very little low-end loss.actually just tightens up the bass "just right"!!!

hey Craig,yeah i'm really diggin' the BBE Green Screamer.it has a really positive effect on the lower-to-mid gain modules.it makes my BRAHMA module sound wayyy better and it makes my SL+ a crusher,now.i'm using the Green Screamer just as a simple "boost".LEVEL all the way up,GAIN all the way down.it tightens up the bottom-end perfectly.shaves off some bass(only a little bit),but adds to the punch & pick attack.there isnt any noticeable tone suckage with the pedal in the signal chain.apparently has a true bypass switch.this pedal seems to keep plenty of mids and gives me a nice,slightly compressed tone.very little tone coloring,if any,at all(when used as a boost).rhythm & leads sounds better,hands down!!! if you have an opportunity to borrow/try one out,give it a shot.for $99.00(including a power supply),it's a great deal.i think it definately sounds better than a stock TS-9,which is what it's modeled after...

I received my Brahma yesterday. I played it along the plexi module for a while and was very positively surprised.

I like the plexi. It has this characteristic Marshall bite and with a maxon OD-9 as a booster, it sounds autentically 70's. Instant Page!

I was really curious to see how it would compare with the Brahma. I knew gain would not be different but I was suprised how different the voicing actually is. I can't guarantee that my plexi module hasn't been modded tough.

The Brahma isn't as trebly as the plexi, by far. I actually have a marshall SLP re-issue so I AB'd the modules and the amp itself.

In all fairness, the plexi module sounds a lot closer to the "real" plexi (the SLP re-issue is no highly rated among plexi lovers). Especially because of the upfront high frequencies.

The Brahma, also has the marshall growl but I found the highs much better integrated in the overall sound instead of being "in your face" like the plexi.

Ultimately, I came to understand that the plexi is a very good emulation of the characteristic plexi sound while the Brahma, is the emulation of a single particularly good plexi (Lynch's one as stated previously). And very good plexis are known and cherished being more flexible tonewise and smoother sounding than regulars plexis.

I also noticed that the Brahma blends much better with my other modules. The really vintage tone of the Plexi (and the JMT that I also have) actually made it tough to switch from one module to the other, as the difference in voicing was really obvious to the point where it became distracting.

I checked the Brahma against the Mr Scary module and they go together really well. Voicing wise, they are comparable. The scary has a more compressed sound and a lot more gain, but switching from the Brahma to the Scary, sounds like switching from one amplifier channel to a higher gain channel on the same amp. Definitely a good pair allowing to cover many marshall tones from Clapo's bluesbreakers leads up to Dokken's 80's albums.

I use the Maxon OD-9 as my main booster. It is not a neutral pedal and tend to add some smooth mids to the sound. For all marshall typed modules, it works really well. With the Maxon, the Brahma doesn't become a gain monster. But that's fine as that's Mr Scary's job! :D. With the gain around 3 o'clock, the Brahma's gain is in the AC/DC zone. With the booster on it does the higher gain stuff up to the early Van Halen sound very well.

Overall, I would recommend the plexi for people who really want "70's" stamped on their sound signature. The Brahma is also marshall, but timeless marshall if that makes sense.

One more thing about the brahma, it loves single coils!

I'm mostly a humbucker guy but I plugged in a strat for fun and astonishingly, with the same setting I use for the humbucker (bass and middle at 3 and treble at 12), it sounds very good. All I need to do is drop the treble a bit on the guitar.