Mullard EL-34's too dark in RM50

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hogguitar

Reaction score
I recently swapped out the stock 6L6's in my rm50 for a set of mullard re-issue EL34's and found it to sound much darker than my other EL34 amps regardless of which module and eq settings I used. I varied the bias from 35-45, but not much difference.

Does anyone have recommendations for other tubes to get that EL34 crunch, but with a more open, 3 dimensional sound? Maybe KT-88's?

I think these amps are a little bass heavy. I had mine loaded with JJ E34L's and swapped them out for Groove Tube 6L6 GE's. I like the tone much better personally which is weird cuz I always thought the EL34's had more emphasis on mids and highs.

I just ordered a set of EH KT88's. I'll report back on how they sound.
The EL34's weren't so much bassy as dark and sort of 1 dimensional compared to the sound of the 6L6's in this amp, or EL34's in other amps.

I just put the EH KT-88's in last night, and I'm really impressed. The amp sounds much more 3 dimensional, BIG and FAT with very thumping and tight bass, but not at all dark or muddy.

I biased them at 43 initially, but I was hearing some crossover distortion, so I turned them up to 54 and they sound great.