THE 4 modules ...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raf_666

Reaction score
Hey all ,

If you only could have 4 modules what would they be ?

For gigs I need not more then 4 different sounds :

A clean = clean mod
A fat rhythm tone for the heavy stuff = KH-3 on its way
A more dry rhythm tone for the more classic heavy metal stuff = Grail ?
A lead tone = Ultra lead

I own the clean , the ultra lead , KH-3 on its way , grail yet to come

also a roctron xpression on the way to get some reverbs,delays and hush, I mailed Randall and they told me to hook it up completely after the RM4 and not to use the FX-loop. They did tell me that my KORG DTR1000 should be in the parallel loop.

Anyway with the 4 modules I hope to get all the tones I need.

WHich 4 modules would you get ?

PS : even the ultra lead has a fat tone ;-)

Here's what I'm using so far.....

Clean - Blackface - I love this mod. I've never been happier with a clean tone before. I'll use a little reverb or chorus and it sounds incredible.

Rhythm - SL+ - I love the versatility I'm getting from this mod. If I want that fat warm tone I put a little DS-1 in front of it. Fattens it up nicely, IMO.

Lead - Mr. Scary - As long as you don't crank the gain it's also very versatile. Only drawback is at ahigher gain it can become pretty loud. I think I'm gonna get an ISP Decimator to get rid of that problem.

I plan on buying an XTC and a Grail here soon so one of those two would be my fourth. For now.......

In my Randall rig, I'd probably say:

Clean: CLEAN
Mid Gain: SL+ / Super V (Tie)
Marshally High Gain: Mr. Scary
Mesa'ish High Gain: Grail

I actually use the Super V in my current project as my main tone...but for the since we're limiting it oto 4 modules....

For my Egnater rig, since we're dealing with four modules, but 8 tones, I'd say:

TWIN (two different cleans)
EG3/4 (one low gain, one higher)
VX (low gain, high gain)
ERECT (high gain, high gain)

When I had my RM4, the 4 "must have" almost-permanenty-installed modules were: Blackface, Brown, Recto, and Ultra Lead

Now that I've got my M4, it's T/D, SL, E-RECT, and EG3/4.

Different, but not that different. :)

--B

Here's what I would roll with in my RM4:

Clean: Deluxe
Mid-gain: Plexi
High-gain Rhythm: Recto
Lead: 1086

Wow....that's almost impossible to make a list for! All of my modules have the works from Pete upgrade wise, so nothing is stock. The rhythm and lead modules have 4 possible options that all interchange nicely, being my 1086, XTC, SL+ and Recto. The module choice really comes down to which power tubes I am using that day.

Since I blend two modules for one tone, does that only count as one module?

Clean : blackhface with a touch of delay, some rev and nice thick chorus
mid/high gain : Plexi + pedal
Stoopid gain : Ultra+Recto (blended) with the tiniest hint of chorus, a doubling delay and a pinch of rev.

The Recto is Pete modded and I flip back and forth between the Orange and Red channels coz I can't make up my mind.

So maybe I cheated a bit with the Plexi + pedal approach, but I make up for it by using two modules for one tone. It all works out in the end.

Thomas

Of what I've tried (All except tweed, dlx, modern, clean, XTC and lynch/hammet signatures)

Clean: Blackface
Mid Gain: Top boost, or 1086
Higher Gain: Ultra XL (My fav!) or 1086
Lead: 1086 or Ultra Lead

I'm more into blues, blues/rock and hard rock stuff but i love heavier stuff also.

So here's my pick:

Clean: Deluxe
Mid gain: Plexi
Higher Gain: XTC or 1086
Lead: XTC or 1086

I have to admit that depending on the occasion i also use some pedals to boost and color my sound with EH Black Finger, VisualSound Jekyll and Hyde, Xotic AC Booster, EH LittleBigMuff.

ALL THE LYNCH MODS STOCK!

To be fair the KH-2 is looking like a stranded on a desert island mod aswell. But alas I have yet to play thru one.

khingpynn said:
ALL THE LYNCH MODS STOCK!

To be fair the KH-2 is looking like a stranded on a desert island mod aswell. But alas I have yet to play thru one.

+1 Still waiting for local dealio to get my KH-2 in :D

If I had four slots to fill I'd go.

Blackface

Brown

Ultra Xl

I use an MXR 10 band with a mid curve for leads.

OK time to bump this ...

Story so far

For now I have the top boost , clean , Ultra Lead and KH-3

Ultra XL and 1086 on the road as we speak.

I guess it will be hard to choose which one would be my main Rhythm Sound and which one would be for leads ...

**** , only need good heavy sound for In Flames stuff, lower gain for Maiden , nice clean and screaming leads ...

Can't wait to try the 1086 and UltraXL :twisted:

So the topic "THE 4 modules" is a hard one to answer. If you find the tones you like it's fine by me so having extra modules on the shelve is rather useless to me no?

Raf

interesting... i'm stumped about the 1086 - can't play it without buying it and people either seem to love it or hate it.

Well, right now I have:

Clean
TopBoost
Plexi
XTC

If I were starting over with a 2 channel M4 I'd probably do:

T/V
COD
SL
EG3

Right now I have a Deluxe, Plexi, Brown and XTC. I obviously need to hear/play more mods before I can say which 4 are "must haves".

I can tell right now that I will probably never take the Brown out of my amp again - unless I need to change a tube. The Plexi is a solid module, but may not be a "must have" considering other options out there (brahma?).

The Deluxe and XTC are not as good as I thought they would be. The Deluxe is way too bassy and breaks up in a way that does not sound good to me. The XTC sounds thin next to the Plexi and Brown.

Any suggestions for a player who is into 80's hard rock and metal tones?

KillTone said:
Any suggestions for a player who is into 80's hard rock and metal tones?

Egnater - EG3/4 has the 80s written all over it

Randall - tons of options here but I vote Mr Scary. simply because it was designed to do that, but I do not know how it compares to the Brown (one of the very few modules I've never owned)

Also, I owned (and sold) two Plexi modules..although it's a killer low gain crunch...I have the Brahma beating it by a margin.