Noise on Channel 4 of my IE4: searching for wiring diagram

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nerdy_Nerd

Reaction score
I realized a loud hiss and hum in channel 3 and 4 in my IE4 (Rocktron Version); especially in channel 4. Gain is not extreme (around 1 o?clock), and more gain rapidly leads to even more hiss. Absolutely no hiss/hum in channel 1 and 2 ! Even if I unplug the guitar-cable from the preamp I hear a massive hiss in Channel 4, sounds almost like there is some kind of ?storm? inside of the preamp ! I checked all cables, tried different power amps and even put in a whole set of different preamp tubes, that I had lying around. So I don?t think the tubes are faulty.

I know the perception of sound and even background hiss is very subjective, but I think channel 3 and 4 have been very much quieter before. Has anyone an idea what may be the cause for this ? Hopefully it?s something that can be fixed easily?

In the Jared Coberly forum I have seen schematics/ tube diagrams for the IE4. Unfortunately the forum is down. Has anyone downloaded these images/ files and can post them here or mail them to me ([email protected]) ? I guess I need them for repairing issues.

Thank you all very much for any kind of help !

Stephan

Check Your Preamp Tubes, I have a Vp4 and on channel i was getting the same thing, I changed the preamp tubes through out my Vp4 and I put 12at7's in V1 and 12ax7's in V2, I still use 12ax7's in the input and output buffer tubes. This should help.

Just because the forum's down doesn't mean that it's not out there somewhere... :)

http://www.jaredcoberly.com/egnater/tech.htm

--B

Thanks for all your input !

So if the the ?old? forum is still somewhere out there, can it also be visited and searched ? I remember some threads I would like to re-read...

Seems that the input jack was defect ! Noise is better now, and changing some tubes also helped a bit. Additionally I realized, that my guitar (ESP Strat with Humbucker) is not as quite as I thought compared to other guitars. Getting a new pickup hopefully will help ;-)

Stephan

given that the guy made 7 posts back in 2006, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a response

I would guess he took it to an amp tech and had it repaired. Or he's handy enough to repair it himself.