attn-SL+ or XTC users - cap mod with .0022u capacitor???

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldwing68nv

Reaction score
anyone on here use a .0022u capacitor for the low-end cap mod? i'm thinking of trying that specific value on my SL+ module to tighten it up some,but not too much & end up losing too much low end on this module...any XTC module users wanna chime in? i'm told that the XTC module comes with the .0022u in it from the factory.if so,how do you like it? i was wondering if it's tight enough for some good chugging/palm mutes???

The XTC is one of the only modules that sounds great right out of the box. They hit the nail on the head with that one. The stock cap is perfect for it. I think I made a mistake selling it a couple of weeks ago but I wanted more gain. IMO my 1086 resembles it a lot as far as note defenition and articulation, but with gobs more gain and more versatile. With the mid-voice feature it's like having 2 modules in one.
As far as the SL+ is concerned, that module rocks. My buds got one and I think it sounds great stock(?). He did put some of those Silver Dragon 12ax7's in it though.

yeah,when i originaly tried an SL+,it sounded pretty **** good.i just bought one used from ebay and i'm kinda disappointed.it doesnt sound very good and its too bassy/woofy with no punch on the bottom end.i tried a different set of preamp tubes in it from my clean module,which are the same electroharmonix 12ax7's,but it didnt change the tone at all.that's why i'm thinkin of doing the cap mod,but just with the .0022u to see how much it changes...

FYI, I've done the .001 cap mod on 3 different modules (Plexi, Recto, Ultra Lead)...and IMO you still have plenty of bass afterwards.

I originally did the .0022 mod on the Recto and didn't notice much difference from the stock .0047.

rfazano said:
The XTC is one of the only modules that sounds great right out of the box. They hit the nail on the head with that one. The stock cap is perfect for it. I think I made a mistake selling it a couple of weeks ago but I wanted more gain. IMO my 1086 resembles it a lot as far as note defenition and articulation, but with gobs more gain and more versatile. With the mid-voice feature it's like having 2 modules in one.
As far as the SL+ is concerned, that module rocks. My buds got one and I think it sounds great stock(?). He did put some of those Silver Dragon 12ax7's in it though.

Yup, mine is running the Shuguang silver dragons and I modded it with a .022 Orange Drop cap. Seems like a good cap for this module. Not too loose, not too tight. The SL+ is my favorite high gain module so far. I think power tubes have alot to do with it too. Rfazano and I are both running Groove Tube 6L6's in our rigs, which provide nice bottom end for the chugging palm mutes and still give you a nice midrange attack and great highs. Crank this ***** up with a downtuned guitar and it just sounds sick!! I'm very happy with this amp.

great!!! thanks for the info,trendkill1168. i will try the .0022u cap first and see how it sounds.i've done the .001u cap mod to my ultra module,which fits that heavier tone perfectly,but was thinking that the typical super lead tone shouldnt be quite so tight,but yet not as loose and boomy as it sounds to me right now as a stock sl+ module!!!

What preamp tubes are you running in yours? I think mine came stock with Sovtek 12AX7's. I like the Chinese tubes better in this module. Gives it more gain. I wish I had some recording software, I'd post some clips. That's the next phase of gear purchase.

well,my SL+ module has the original electroharmonix 12ax7's and i have the original jj 6l6 power tubes that came with the rm50hb head...

Those Electo Harmonix preamp tubes are pretty gainy. I actually like them alot but just use the Shuguangs in this particular module. I use the EH tubes for my common input slot and effect slots.