Why Should anyone buy a New Rm-100

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodvocivus

Reaction score
After years of frusturation I have finally found the amp of my dreams, the problem is that I know nothing about buying tube amps. My question is wheter I should buy a slightly used mts head on ebay for the price range of 650-800$ or if I should just buy it new? I mean, is their generally anything bad about purchasing a slightly used tube head or are the low prices because they are open-box? I know this question may seem "newb" but I don't have the kind of money to be taking risks. Any kind of response is appreciated, thanks.

If you buy it new you will have the warranty but I think it's only good for a year if I'm not mistaken. I haven't heard of people having problems with the RM100's but anytime you buy something used you take a risk just because you don't have anyone to go back to if there is a problem. At least that was my thinking when I bought mine. I buy most of my gear used on Ebay but usually they are items that are pretty much bulletproof like pedals or used modules. I have only bought one new module at full price, all the rest of them have been used off of Ebay and I have never had a problem.

I will say this about the RM100 though, the first head I bought from a dealer came damaged from UPS. They dropped the box on one end so hard that the brackets that hold the electrical transformers inside the head bent from the weight. When I got the head both transformers were leaning to one side. The amp was shipped with the power tubes installed and they were fine. I powered the amp up and it worked perfectly I just couldn't keep it for obvious reasons. I consider it to be a pretty durable amp to take that kind of punishment and work without a hitch so you may be fine buying one used. I was just more comfortable buying it new because it was alot of money. Good luck.

I bought my RM100 used on E-Bay and I've been buying modules used too. You are correct about the warranty issue but the prices and availability of the MTS stuff on the used market is too good for me to be buying new.

I bought my rm 100 on ebay for 550 used with no modules, it was nice tho because I got to buy the modules I wanted not the factory options. Keep an eye on ebay thats probally the only place you will get a deal that good. Its a great amp, I owned a 5150II for a long time and when I got this i put that 5150 on ebay faster than i could click the mouse. (that really dosent make any sense haha)

evhwolfie said:
I bought my rm 100 on ebay for 550 used with no modules, it was nice tho because I got to buy the modules I wanted not the factory options. Keep an eye on ebay thats probally the only place you will get a deal that good. Its a great amp, I owned a 5150II for a long time and when I got this i put that 5150 on ebay faster than i could click the mouse. (that really dosent make any sense haha)

How do you think the RM stacks up against the 5150? I was almost going to buy a 5150 before I scored my RM.

my brother have a 5150 combo 2x12, i have the Egnater M4 with Egnater and Randall modules used with a VHT power amp

IMO the 5150 sounds like crap :lol: