Using an additional pre-amp, rack and module questions etc

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riffer

Reaction score
Hiya,

In the future (near hopefully) I'd like to learn to play guitar (I'm a drummer, and also learning bass now). The preferred tone I'm generally after would be a metal tone.

I'm thinking of compiling a rack system, with the RM4 and RT2/50. I'm also considering maybe using an additional pre-amp, possibly the Gainland by Van Weelden (http://www.vanweelden.nl/). However, I'm not sure whether this has MIDI compatibility. Assuming it has (or depending if nearer the time I decide on a different seperate pre-amp) , is it a problem to bypass the RM4 when required?

Obviously I don't want to over complicate things, so would you say that this is unnecessary, given the huge range of tones which are obtainable from the different Randall modules? Is it necessary to use additional distortion pedals etc?

Also, in your opinions, is it necessary to have a power conditioner, rack tuner etc, or should I just buy a 4 space rack, and leave it at that?

Lastly, which modules would you recommend for a metal tone, but also with the ability to play other styles too?

Many thanks in advance,
riffer.

I haven't gotten my rig yet, but people here almost always praise the 1080 Module as being the best for metal; as well as the best all round module with the ability to play classic style tones...

See the post "RANDALL MTS MODULE SAMPLES HERE!" under the "Rigs and Tones" section of the forum. There are sample clips of most of the high gain modules that you can check out and make up you own mind which one suits your needs.

riffer said:
Hiya,

In the future (near hopefully) I'd like to learn to play guitar (I'm a drummer, and also learning bass now). The preferred tone I'm generally after would be a metal tone.

I'm thinking of compiling a rack system, with the RM4 and RT2/50. I'm also considering maybe using an additional pre-amp, possibly the Gainland by Van Weelden (http://www.vanweelden.nl/). However, I'm not sure whether this has MIDI compatibility. Assuming it has (or depending if nearer the time I decide on a different seperate pre-amp) , is it a problem to bypass the RM4 when required?

Racks are great as far as stage setup speed is concerned I can setup my entire rig in under 3 mins. You Could use a Stereo Midi Loop Box to switch between preamps.

Obviously I don't want to over complicate things, so would you say that this is unnecessary, given the huge range of tones which are obtainable from the different Randall modules? Is it necessary to use additional distortion pedals etc?

I dont recommend useing alot of pedals unless you know what your doing.
I use a gain boost wah and volume. compressors are tricky to learn and IMO should always be set fairly conservative on the settings.

Also, in your opinions, is it necessary to have a power conditioner, rack tuner etc, or should I just buy a 4 space rack, and leave it at that?

I highly recommend a power conditioner for the simmple fact that it CLEANS most of the AC power, and doubles as a clean rackmounted powerstrip. if you've played TONS of gigs like me, you'll learn to hate regular powerstrips.

Lastly, which modules would you recommend for a metal tone, but also with the ability to play other styles too?

I find the Plexi & Modern modules to be the most versatile. I love the recto module, but It has too much gain for me so I lowered it. many people hate it but if you set it up just right its KILLER :twisted:

Many thanks in advance,
riffer.