HELP Randall V2 head

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless you have the channel volume down and the master volume up or visa versa, the quietness is a valve or power section issue. I blew the power valve in my T2 on stage and the amp still worked but was dead quiet and really weak, like a 2watt amp driving a whacking great cab!

Check the power-valve first. The randall tech in the UK has said that the 12AT7s have a much shorter shelflife than 12AX7s and it has been documented on these forums that the electroharmonix 12AT7s supplied with the amps actually have a manufacturing fault anyway and wear out very quickly. Replace the 12AT7 at the back of the head and give it a try. If that doesnt fix the quietness issue try replacing the other valves in the head. You can get JJ brand 12AT7s for quite cheap and they endure alot of punishment (mine must have had in the region of 30 gigs thrown at it since I replaced it, with no sign of it wearing out)

If changing the valves does nothing, then then I'm pretty sure the power section is dead which will probably result in it doing what you have indicated.

Regardless of the supplier, as long as it is less than 3 years old (double check 3) you have a warranty with Randall. Check their website for warranty details.

I also had problem with my V2 but solved in couple of hours. During play because of vibrations some power connectors on tube channel fall off. Luckily my friend works @ Randall shop so he repaired it right away.

I think these V2/T2 are great amps, but we need at least 2-3 years to improve it ... these baby sickness are always problem with new products.
Especially because V2 is so complicated engine ...

El_Thwatez said:
Unless you have the channel volume down and the master volume up or visa versa, the quietness is a valve or power section issue. I blew the power valve in my T2 on stage and the amp still worked but was dead quiet and really weak, like a 2watt amp driving a whacking great cab!

Check the power-valve first. The randall tech in the UK has said that the 12AT7s have a much shorter shelflife than 12AX7s and it has been documented on these forums that the electroharmonix 12AT7s supplied with the amps actually have a manufacturing fault anyway and wear out very quickly. Replace the 12AT7 at the back of the head and give it a try. If that doesnt fix the quietness issue try replacing the other valves in the head. You can get JJ brand 12AT7s for quite cheap and they endure alot of punishment (mine must have had in the region of 30 gigs thrown at it since I replaced it, with no sign of it wearing out)

If changing the valves does nothing, then then I'm pretty sure the power section is dead which will probably result in it doing what you have indicated.

Regardless of the supplier, as long as it is less than 3 years old (double check 3) you have a warranty with Randall. Check their website for warranty details.

my power valve (it's the one on the back right?? ) is an "ECC81"... so should i replace it for a 12AX7??
oh and randall told me the warranty does not exist outside of the US :(

thanks

oh and another thing... is it possible that because of the power valve failure the whole preamp doesn't work (including, of course, the LEDs)??

thanks .

Well mine kept going, but T2's and V2's arent EXACTLY the same, so could be an issue.

Bozzat, you need to replace it with another ECC81 although an ECC83 will work as well.

^
ok, sorry for the Noobism ^_^... Thanks a lot!!! ill buy a new tube...

by the way i heard that ECC81 and 12AT7 are the same.. is that true ?

Randall guitar amplifiers, bass amplifiers and speaker enclosures are warranted to be free of defects in materials and workmanship in normal use for a period of three (3) years from the date of original purchase. The manufacturer warrants jaguar speakers for a period of two years. The manufacturer warrants tubes for a period of sixty days. Rental stock is warranted for one year from date of invoice to dealer. Warranty on rental units is not transferable. During that period, Randall will repair or replace, at Randall's option, any Randall product or part thereof which is found by Randall to be defective. The customer pays transportation to and from Randall factory service or any Randall Authorized Service Center. Randall reserves the right to use materials readily available at the time of the repair. Warranty service requires Proof of Purchase (sales receipt) to be presented at time of service request.
What is covered against manufacturing defects
Parts and Labor to correct any defect in materials used and any defect attributable to workmanship.

What is not covered
Shipping Damage. Report damage upon receipt of item to the carrier (i.e. UPS). Freight carrier must be notified upon receipt of items to insure freight damage claim resolution. Shipping damage not filed with carriers immediately upon receipt will not be covered under warranty. Merchandise that has been modified after original shipment from the Randall factory. Product whose serial numbers have been altered or removed. Exterior finish Normal wear and tear Damage due to misuse, operation outside the specified ratings, neglect or accident. Warranty claims by anyone other than the original purchaser. Randall is not responsible for any items left in gig bags or cases. We strongly advice that all personal items, picks, sheet music, chords, cables, tuners, ect? should be removed.
Freight charges to and from the factory or authorized service center for customer owned goods. Any and all charges incurred from priority service requests (Rush Service) or priority shipping for replacement parts. Any and all charges if no problem is found.

Factory Service Terms

oh and randall told me the warranty does not exist outside of the US

Thats good for them, but until they publicly state that in their warranty being outside the US is irrelevant, I have a warranty and I don't live in the US.. Although I like argueing and stirring things up, it's probably wiser not to go down this route as the postage back to the US factory will cost you 2 arms and 2 legs... and half a foot. It might be easier and cheaper in the long run to try and get hold of the schematics and take them to an amp tech.

This is all of course if changing the valves doesn't fix it.

^
good to know. just got the schematics from randall.. ill get a power valve tomorrow, and if that wont work, i already talked with two amp techs..
thanks

Excellent! Well let us know how it goes, sorry that we weren't able to help you find a free solution!

These heads are amazing, so I think even though its gonna be alot of hassle to get it sorted, you'll be happy with the end result!!

^
unfortunately it didn't work.. ill take it to an amp tech tough... baaaahhhhh :)

hi everyone ! i took my head to an electronics tech who fixed the problem ( it took him about a month to do so, but it was worth it). the problem was a programmed part of the amp that didn't work.

now i still fiddle with the knobs, trying to get to that dime tone or whatever... so anyway Thanks for your help guys and remember..
DO NOT live in israel.

by the way check out my band :
www.myspace.com/abrage

:)