RM20b Versatility

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickgk

Reaction score
Hi There,

My rm20b combo is due to arrive soon, i was just wondering if anyone is using one of these in a band setting and what module they like to use that allows them to go from a clean to distorted tone.
How well does the tube boost function work? will it take a module from clean to high gain saturation? and is there enough headroom on the clean?
I am thinking the top boost module might work best to achieve this?

If I had to pick one module, it would be TopBoost. Between the boost function on the amp, which is a mild boost (like a solo booster) and the volume knob on your guitar, you'll probably be able to get what you want. There's a local guy here that uses exactly that setup and it sounds unbeliavable.

I didn't find the RM20's boost to provide a lot of gain (even when dimed), though it did do a great job of providing a volume boost. I agree, though, that the Top Boost module sounded killer in the RM20 (in part, probably due to the EL84's).

One cool trick, though... when I had my RM20, I ran an RM4 into the series FX return to turn it into a 4-channel amp for gigging & recording. Given that you can find used RM4's for $400-ish, it was a cost-effective way to add major versatility to the RM20.

--B

bduersch said:
I didn't find the RM20's boost to provide a lot of gain (even when dimed), though it did do a great job of providing a volume boost. I agree, though, that the Top Boost module sounded killer in the RM20 (in part, probably due to the EL84's).

One cool trick, though... when I had my RM20, I ran an RM4 into the series FX return to turn it into a 4-channel amp for gigging & recording. Given that you can find used RM4's for $400-ish, it was a cost-effective way to add major versatility to the RM20.

--B
So you can use a rm4 thru your effects loop? I was curious about that. So it would effectively turn my rm100c into a power amp? Hmm. Simple yet very potent I imagine. Would my effects that are normally in the loop go before or after the rm4? And which loop? My delay is in the serial loop.

Yeah... it works great... I used the RM4 in the series loop of my RM100C a couple of times as well (though it wasn't quite as exciting to go from 3 to 4 channels with the RM100 as it was to go from 1 to 4 channels on the RM20). Cool thing is that if you get a remote switching device of sorts, you could get 5 channels out of the RM20 or 7 channels out of the RM100.

Any effects already in the series loop would then go after the RM4.

--B

I still have my rm4 but was thinking of selling it, i would prefer to have this combo rig as simple and lightweight as possible, so would prefer to run a boost pedal rather than drag my rm4 along as well.
Here is a link to a midi switchable a/b box that would work to switch between rm4 and rm20 or rm100 giving you 5 or 7 channels respectively http://www.soundsculpture.com/products/pt_abcadabra.htm

Bdeursch when you were running the Rm4 into the rm20 did you need a module in the rm20 itself?

I was also wondering if the mic eliminator xlr direct out is post poweramp stage on the rm20? or is it just a preamp line out?

And finally does anyone have the manual i can download? It's not on the randall site it seems.

I highly recommend the Axess GRX4 for remote switching (among other things). I use it for remote switching, amp channel switching, and a mute/unmute for a piezo signal. These are all controlled by midi program number.

I'll second the reco for the GRX4... that's the best sounding (most transparent) switching unit I've tried to date.

rickgk said:
Bdeursch when you were running the Rm4 into the rm20 did you need a module in the rm20 itself?

I was also wondering if the mic eliminator xlr direct out is post poweramp stage on the rm20? or is it just a preamp line out?

And finally does anyone have the manual i can download? It's not on the randall site it seems.

Anyway, to answer your questions... I'm pretty sure I didn't need a module in the RM20 when I was using the RM4 in the loop, but am not 100% positive. Most of the time I used that setup I would use the RM20 as a means to carry a 5th module, in case I wanted to swap one out mid-gig or mid-session. But theoretically, coming in through the FX loop should be heading straight to the power amp (not back to the module circuitry), so there shouldn't be any problems with it.

I thought the mic eliminator jack was supposed to be tied into the power section, though once again, I don't have any way to confirm it. I do remember it being downstream from the FX loop, at least. It's more than a preamp line out, though... it is voiced with a cab simulator, so it sounds better than using preamp outs for purposes of recording. I actually did a few demos using the RM20's mic eliminator and found it to be better than other cab sims I've tried.

Finally, I don't have an electronic copy of the manual, though if I remember right, the manual felt pretty generic... most of the content was general MTS stuff (similar to the RM100 manual) with an extra row added to the tube biasing table to show the proper values for EL84's.

(Sorry I can't be of more definite help... I had an RM20 for several months, but recently sold it, so I'm trying to remember it from the dozens of other amps I've owned over the years)

--B

rickgk said:
I still have my rm4 but was thinking of selling it, i would prefer to have this combo rig as simple and lightweight as possible, so would prefer to run a boost pedal rather than drag my rm4 along as well.
Here is a link to a midi switchable a/b box that would work to switch between rm4 and rm20 or rm100 giving you 5 or 7 channels respectively http://www.soundsculpture.com/products/pt_abcadabra.htm

On the RM50, you don't need a module to do this. I suspect the RM20 works the same way.