Pickup choices

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xspiderfingersx

Reaction score
I have the xtc mod that i use for my heavy **** right now; planning on swapping it out for a 1086 sooner or later or an Ultra XL depending on how that thing is recieved:

I just bought a jackson dinky with an alder body. Its one of the mid level ones, but it came with emg hz's and i think they sound awful. I want a super crunchy screaming bridge pickup to push this head really hard; i need smoke to come out of my ears when ipick up this guitar.

I was looking at a dimebucker: anyone with experience using those in guitars that are not mahogony??

-dave

I had a Dimebucker in a guitar (Ibanez RG) and it sounded terrible.
I think the luster of having a dimebag pickup is more intriguing than being stuck with the actual tone that that pickup provides.

The first thing I would recommend would be EMGs (81/85)...
But if you must stay with passive pickups, check out the Duncan Custom Custom (not just the Custom, the Custom Custom) or better yet I think in terms of passive pickups is the DiMarzio Fred.
A lot of guys will swear by the DiMarzio Tone Zone, but I've had about 4 over the years; they sounded amazing in two guitars; but most others I tried them in they were too dark and muddy.
The only passive pickup that I would gladly switch to without any reservation is the DiMarzio Fred (yeah; I know you wouldn't really think that the Joe Satriani pickup would be that ballsy, but it is)...

I think i'm either gonna do the jb/59 set up duncan runs or a bare knuckle pickups war pig. I'd rather get the war pig because its amazing, but its a little pricey and such.

-dave

Im going with the warpig. I never got into dimarzio stuff ever for some reason but yeah...check out these boys if you guys are into tone

www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk

handwound: everytime i've ever heard them they sound amazing!

-dave

My current favorite guitar is an Ibanez SZ320 thta I've had outfitted with EMG85 in the brige and EMG 60 in the neak. This is a KILLER combo for people who are primarily rythm players giving a fatter upper-midrange tone than a typical 81/85 set.

I dont like the tone of EMG humbuckers that much personally. I always find them a little razory and harsh. I like heavy, with meat and mids, not just pure heat and gain

Check out a Bill Lawrence L-500XL. That fooker screams!!! Same pickup Dime used in the Dean from Hell and Nuno Bettincourt from Extreme also uses them in his Washburns. Hand made and actually pretty cheap since you buy them direct from Bill & Becky. Price is $50.00. Don't confuse them with Bill Lawrence USA, different company. Correct website is www.billlawrence.com.

Bonj87 said:
im a big fan of the duncan SH12 screamin deamon.

yes I have this one in my ibanez; along with a the SH-2 Jazz Pickup.

If I were you though; I would go with a Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB and a SH-2 Jazz pickup at the neck--- an Excellent joice.

yeah i looked into the andersons they were awesome but i wound up with a PRS hfs. Sounds perfect for my tone.

-dave