M4 vs. RM4?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunton

Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion on the difference between the two. I love my RM4, but just wonder if there is any perceived sound quality difference? Someone I know is selling an M4 and wonder if I should get it and sell the RM4?

I've read/been agreed with by Bruce, that 90% of the tone is in the modules themselves. IME the Eganters sound better. If that M4 is filled with Eggies, GRAB IT!

NuSkoolTone said:
I've read/been agreed with by Bruce, that 90% of the tone is in the modules themselves. IME the Eganters sound better. If that M4 is filled with Eggies, GRAB IT!
You think I made a misstake by going with the M4 then? A used M4 is about the price of a new RM4, so are the modules of the respective brands. Anyway I got it cheaper than had I bought an RM4 new domestically.

Okay this is probably going to piss off a LOT of RM4 owners (sorry in advance if you didn't already know this!), but since I know this for a fact I figured I will chime in and share the good news! the M4 DUAL CHANNEL rack preamp is LESS EXPENSIVE NEW than an RM4!!! Anyone else know that? :lol: Yep I just ordered mine yesterday and it is $160 LESS than the Randall version. Granted they knew (I showed them proof) that I already owned 3 dual channel modules with the intent of buying more soon, but I got on the list for my empty Egnater M4 for $405 incl. shipping. I figured I would make this little PSA for all my homies buying up RM4's like there is no tomorrow! Now I didn't ask if that amount includes the footswitch for it, but if it doesn't that would still make the Egnater M4 on the same price level as the RM4, but you can use dual channel modules! I talked to Frank and he let me order through Indoor Storm. I don't know if you need Frank's permission or not ([email protected] if you want to reach him, nice guy that Frank!) because Indoor Storm told me they normally are only allowed to sell them loaded with a minimum of 1 module, but since I talked to Frank about it and he gave the OK I was allowed to buy an empty one. I can't WAIT! Now I just have to save up for a VHT 2/50/2 and I'll be in Egnater heaven! Too bad there's a 4-6 week minimum wait on these puppies... :cry: ... gives me time to save for the VHT I guess! :wink: Hope this helps, but then again, even if they make you buy the M4 with one Dual Channel module, the price is pretty decent! :D

Where did you buy the M4 from?

Edit: Indoor storm? Whenever I looked through the site, it didn't show any M4 preamps; they only had a MOD50

They don't keep the M4 in stock the guy at Indoor Storm told me, it's all custom ordered. He said they sell the MOD50 and MOD100 fairly often but it's harder with the M4 as some people don't want to spend $1.6-2K or whatever it is fully loaded, especially because not everyone wants the same modules and they don't always have one of each module in stock! If you order it, they will build. However I don't know how many other people are on order for one right now, he told me average build time is 4-6 weeks but if there are a bunch of orders expect delays. I might shoot them an email in 4 weeks to see where I am in the build process. :)

Aww sorry Ned I know you just bought an RM4! :( If I had known sooner I would have told you to hold out for the M4! :) Abomb, they only deal with Egnater, so Dual Channel modules only sir. Music123.com is a good place to get Randall stuff, or you can go the eBay route for the 1086 since it seems like Music123 never has those in stock! :p

guitarguy510 said:
Aww sorry Ned I know you just bought an RM4! :( If I had known sooner I would have told you to hold out for the M4! :) Abomb, they only deal with Egnater, so Dual Channel modules only sir. Music123.com is a good place to get Randall stuff, or you can go the eBay route for the 1086 since it seems like Music123 never has those in stock! :p
I will have to cheer myself up knowing they don't deal with overseas customers anyway. I'm having a used M4 Single sent to me for quite a bit more than that.

If your going to buy new modules please use the banner at the top it helps support the site. Sometimes MF doesn't have all the modules though.

guitarguy510 said:
They don't keep the M4 in stock the guy at Indoor Storm told me, it's all custom ordered. He said they sell the MOD50 and MOD100 fairly often but it's harder with the M4 as some people don't want to spend $1.6-2K or whatever it is fully loaded, especially because not everyone wants the same modules and they don't always have one of each module in stock! If you order it, they will build. However I don't know how many other people are on order for one right now, he told me average build time is 4-6 weeks but if there are a bunch of orders expect delays. I might shoot them an email in 4 weeks to see where I am in the build process. :)

That is also my experience with Eddie & Dave from Indoorstorm. I ordered an M4 at the end of may. $1167 with two modules. Mine should be coming close to being finished I think. I thought the wait would be killer but it has gone pretty quickly. I was quoted 6-8 weeks, but that is probably due to a back-log in NAMM orders from earlier in the year.

I was also told that the California Overdrive module should be about ready for production when my M4 is done... Should be any week now :D

guitarguy510 said:
Okay this is probably going to piss off a LOT of RM4 owners (sorry in advance if you didn't already know this!), but since I know this for a fact I figured I will chime in and share the good news! the M4 DUAL CHANNEL rack preamp is LESS EXPENSIVE NEW than an RM4!!! Anyone else know that? :lol: Yep I just ordered mine yesterday and it is $160 LESS than the Randall version. Granted they knew (I showed them proof) that I already owned 3 dual channel modules with the intent of buying more soon, but I got on the list for my empty Egnater M4 for $405 incl. shipping. I figured I would make this little PSA for all my homies buying up RM4's like there is no tomorrow! Now I didn't ask if that amount includes the footswitch for it, but if it doesn't that would still make the Egnater M4 on the same price level as the RM4, but you can use dual channel modules! I talked to Frank and he let me order through Indoor Storm. I don't know if you need Frank's permission or not ([email protected] if you want to reach him, nice guy that Frank!) because Indoor Storm told me they normally are only allowed to sell them loaded with a minimum of 1 module, but since I talked to Frank about it and he gave the OK I was allowed to buy an empty one. I can't WAIT! Now I just have to save up for a VHT 2/50/2 and I'll be in Egnater heaven! Too bad there's a 4-6 week minimum wait on these puppies... :cry: ... gives me time to save for the VHT I guess! :wink: Hope this helps, but then again, even if they make you buy the M4 with one Dual Channel module, the price is pretty decent! :D

Minimum of 1? Last time I talked to them, it was a minimum of 2. Has this changed?

I was told at LEAST one, but they preferred selling a half or fully-loaded M4. Like I said, not sure if they cut me some slack since I have 3 dual channel modules already or not. The dual channel modules are SWEEEET! Just having a hard time of deciding whether or not to keep the Modern High Gain as I already have two high gain dual channel modules and I need to buy the dual channel Twin module still! ;)

Yep, the Egnater dual channel M4 is reverse compatible. However the RM4 cannot use both channels on the egnater DUAL channel modules, only the first channel! :)

Okay thanks! It seems that there isn't much reason to buy an RM4 chassis, unless you can find a screaming deal on a used one.