My one complaint about the KH3 module

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mctallica1

Reaction score
This module sounds huge for high gain applications, but my one complaint is that the sweep on each dial is so big (ie subtle changes can have a HUGE difference in tone) that if you happen to bump something it can be a pain finding what you had......

Kinda like Mark series Mesa's.

Just had to vent a little :p

agreed...except that I find I generally like the gain structure of that module that sweeping the mids about doesn't really bother me.

Almost every MTS module can be dialed by setting everything to 12 o'clock and making minor tweaks from there....there are a few exceptions where they can actually sound good with serious diming or serious scooping.

Not too many of the high gain modules sound good with Bass > 12 o'clock either..so that one is easy IMO :D

metalmm785 said:
Tony, How's the Kh-1 working out for ya?

It is very nice...Much better than I thought it was when I first plugged it in.

One thing I really don't understand is why they would use JJ ecc83's in the KH1 module.

I switched v1 for a Sylvania low gain and v2 for a JJ ecc803 and it sounds VERY sweet and full, even with the bridge pickup using an EMG81 and if I switch to the neck (also emg81...I prefe 81's in Mahogany guitars), I get a lot of bloom and fullness.

Very nice.

JKD said:
agreed...except that I find I generally like the gain structure of that module that sweeping the mids about doesn't really bother me.

Almost every MTS module can be dialed by setting everything to 12 o'clock and making minor tweaks from there....there are a few exceptions where they can actually sound good with serious diming or serious scooping.

Not too many of the high gain modules sound good with Bass > 12 o'clock either..so that one is easy IMO :D

I actually found a GREAT Metallica type high gain sound on the KH3 with some very odd settings...I dialed with my ears, not my eyes :eek:

Prior to finding this tone, I had some great high gain tones, but nothign real close to MOP ish Metallica...found it (for my setup anyway) 8)

mctallica1 said:
JKD said:

I actually found a GREAT Metallica type high gain sound on the KH3 with some very odd settings...I dialed with my ears, not my eyes :eek:

And if I'm tone deaf? :D

I never said anything about eyes anyway..I said 'sound good'

Nah..seriously though, so many of the modules just get flubby sounding after the mid point in the dial for Bass...that's not to say I haven't found settings that work under lower gain with more bass....or with certain modules....and then I know I can go higher with different pickups and different guitars....

The KH-2 and KH-3 seem to have an insane amount of Bass.

...don't get me started onn pickup height ...

Too many variables for a tone-deaf OCD guy like me ;)

I know people will want to kill me for saying this......but I owned the KH3 for about 20 minutes and knew I didnt like it. Just was too bassy and when I rolled the bass back down.....it became weak sounding. I couldnt find a happy medium with that module. SO I went back to the EG5 module and sold the KH3 the same day. The EG5 is a easy one to dial in a great distortion. Just my 2 pennies for what its worth :wink:

Mailman1971 said:
I know people will want to kill me for saying this......but I owned the KH3 for about 20 minutes and knew I didnt like it. Just was too bassy and when I rolled the bass back down.....it became weak sounding. I couldnt find a happy medium with that module. SO I went back to the EG5 module and sold the KH3 the same day. The EG5 is a easy one to dial in a great distortion. Just my 2 pennies for what its worth :wink:

THat is what makes the whole modular thing so cool....different strokes...

FWIW< I have had the KH3 for about a week and seriously considered selling it because I couldn't get it to work for me the way I wanted, but I had a feeling there was something in there I wasn't finding (kinda like Mark series Mesa's were for me for a long time...now I can dial one in in a couple minutes).

Decided to go unconventional and WOW.

You would probably not believe me, but NONE of my dials are anywhere near noon and the mids are at about 2 oclock. I am using an MXR 10 band in the loop cutting a bit of mids, lows and highs (very little of all).

Through my setup, it sounds awesome...I would probably hate it through some other signal chain...but that is nothing new for me. :lol:

mctallica1 said:
Mailman1971 said:

THat is what makes the whole modular thing so cool....different strokes...

FWIW< I have had the KH3 for about a week and seriously considered selling it because I couldn't get it to work for me the way I wanted, but I had a feeling there was something in there I wasn't finding (kinda like Mark series Mesa's were for me for a long time...now I can dial one in in a couple minutes).

Decided to go unconventional and WOW.

You would probably not believe me, but NONE of my dials are anywhere near noon and the mids are at about 2 oclock.

I *love* the way the mids sound on the KH-3.. mine are 1 to 2 o'clock depending on the guitar....treble anywhere from 9 to 3 o'clock (guitar, volume and \m/ mood dependent) add bass to taste....gain is always insane :D

That is whats so cool about these amps. I loved the 1086......hands down! And some people said it was the worst sounding weakest in the link. I could play it and just get all sorts of cool tones. But......different strokes.......you know the rest!
:D