M4 - the sounds of silence.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joey_truelove

Reaction score
Dales district, Sweden - heartland of Swedish folk
Got my since long anticipated M4 today. I wish I could tell you all how wonderful it sounds, but the only sound it has produced is that humming when heating up. I suppose the light emitting diodes should indicate an active module, but they're as dark as a coalmine.

Is there anything I might have overlooked? Should the modules be installed in any specific order (only running two)? No users' guide with this one I'm affraid.

Grateful for any and all input.

Cheers,
Jonas

Make sure the power switch is set appropriately for your country ie 120 versus 220.

ned said:
Make sure the power switch is set appropriately for your country ie 120 versus 220.
Cheers Ned! I'm afraid that might be it. Now I've turned that plastic thing on the back to the right position. I think we even have 230V so I guess I would have to put it in the 240V position, right? The unit was bought used from Italy and I assumed no setting was necessary, but thinking back the description of the site from which I bought it may have said something about that.

Edit: Tried to put it in the 240 pos and it's still dead as a doornail. Now that things are as they are do you think I might have shot the unit? May it not be a transformer failure... The fuse in the voltage selector looks fit but shows sooth on the inside of the glass tube.

Give Egnater a call. Sounds like something easy to me - I don't know much about the blank modules, but I have read they're required in any slots you're not using (not sure if this is a warranty requirement or actual technical requirement).

No, you should set it to 220v, Jonas.

What kind of fuse is in there? Mine takes 1A slo blo for 220v and 2A slo blo for 120v. I have the dual channel M4 though, so yours might be different.

Try a new fuse and set it to 220v, and cross your fingers....

Sounds like maybe you blew a fuse. Try the suggestion made by trazan above. Gotta be careful and have that stuff matched up properly. If it doesn't work the second time, give bruce an email and I'm sure he'll walk you through it! :)

I opened up my RM4 the other day just to look what is inside - there are a bunch of fuses inside. Might want to unsrew the top (all 3000 of them!) and look inside. Watch your fingers - make sure its unplugged! Remember caps hold charge for a long time.

trazan said:

What kind of fuse is in there? Mine takes 1A slo blo for 220v and 2A slo blo for 120v. I have the dual channel M4 though, so yours might be different.

Are you sure Trazan. European standard mains are 230V, used to be 220.

I believe it says something about the max current on the back of the unit. - Yes, checked it up: 1A at 220-240, 2A at 110-120 both SLO BLO

drunton said:
I opened up my RM4 the other day just to look what is inside - there are a bunch of fuses inside. Might want to unsrew the top (all 3000 of them!) and look inside. Watch your fingers - make sure its unplugged! Remember caps hold charge for a long time.
Cheers! Tried to get mine open but the screws on the top wont budge. Actually, one of the screws had been tampered with and the whole of the head was ripped off from it... Leads me to believe either Bruce has put locking solution on the threads or somebody else has. :?:

Yes, the fuse having blown I suppose they do. You can't discarge them by the rip-out-the-chord method then.

Iconoclysm said:
Give Egnater a call. Sounds like something easy to me - I don't know much about the blank modules, but I have read they're required in any slots you're not using (not sure if this is a warranty requirement or actual technical requirement).
Cheers mate. They could probably go anywhere at any time, it's just that I couldn't make them react to the module switching button.

joey_truelove said:
trazan said:

Are you sure Trazan. European standard mains are 230V, used to be 220.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you should...at least I've been running it at 220v all this time without any problems :wink: (I'm in Norway)

Put a new fuse in but the pre is just not interested in giving me anything in return. Next step is dropping the dreaded Bruce Egnater a line, right?

Edit: Now I've mailed the man. Just let's hope the problem can be solved quickly enough. Under any circumstance I'm not having it sent across the Atlantic.

Maybe I used wrong e-mail address but Bruce hasn't got back to me yet :cry:. He might be on holliday though. I'm curious if the voltage selection is done on the primary or secondary coil. Probably that would be the primary and I could measure the impedance of it. Since no other fuse has blown, that would indicate it's working all right or a wire has burnt off and there is no circuit.

joey_truelove said:
Maybe I used wrong e-mail address but Bruce hasn't got back to me yet :cry:.

Sorry I can't help you with your question, but on this, you're right--Bruce is on vacation, I believe. (My MOD50 is just about ready, so I've been talking to Frank, his partner, who mentioned that).

Orren

Orren said:
joey_truelove said:
Maybe I used wrong e-mail address but Bruce hasn't got back to me yet :cry:.

Sorry I can't help you with your question, but on this, you're right--Bruce is on vacation, I believe. (My MOD50 is just about ready, so I've been talking to Frank, his partner, who mentioned that).

Orren
Cheers mate. I guess I will have to excercise my renowned patience a little. Anybody know when they're back, estimately?

I think Bruce JUST got back from vacation. I received an email from him last week, but I sent him a question about 2-3 weeks ago when he was still on vacation so I think he's still playing catch up. Patience works best! :D

So thats why... :?

I ordered an M4 at the end of May... turns out it is still 3-4 weeks away from being finished. :(