KH-2 and 1086

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie

Reaction score
Hi all. I am interested in getting both of these. Here's the question: Is it worth it to have both? I mean are they similar enough that it would be redundant to have one of each, or should I just get one of them. I am more of a hotrodded Marshall type, but am open to new things as well so I am leaning towards both. Just wish we had a Randall dealer near me... I love my Mr Scary and SL+ (with JCM800 Tonestack).

Eddie said:
Hi all. I am interested in getting both of these. Here's the question: Is it worth it to have both? I mean are they similar enough that it would be redundant to have one of each, or should I just get one of them. I am more of a hotrodded Marshall type, but am open to new things as well so I am leaning towards both. Just wish we had a Randall dealer near me... I love my Mr Scary and SL+ (with JCM800 Tonestack).

I would get both. BUt i think if it was me I would get the KH3 stead the KH2. The 1086 boosted is one of the sickest thing's ive heard.

Thanks man. I am not that crazy about Mesa tone, so I wasn't thinking that the KH-3 would really be for me. From what I have read, it sounds like the 1086 can do both really well, so I figured that could be my recto tone if I were ever inclined to use one, but I could also use it for other sounds I like better. Am I making sense at all? I sound like a rambling madman to me...

tonymustang302 said:
quite honestly, if you want heavy, I would go with the Ultra. I love that mofo. But i haven't heard the module that sound's like a JCM 800.

yeah...the ULTRA,i love that mo'fo too!!! ......but seriously,the ULTRA needs NO boost and,hands down,out-"gains" the 1086!!! :wink: on a separate note,if you(or any of the mts forum guys)are looking for a great price on any of the KH modules,contact Curt @ Squid Music,in L.A. - he's got a "special" on them,RIGHT NOW,and price-wise,he's got the other "on-line" mts stores beat!!! here's his store phone # (714) 826-4000...or check out his "myspace" page under Squid Music-Stanton,CA. btw,he's a full-line carrying mts store,as well,for all your other mts module or amp needs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! definately a great,honest guy to deal with!!!!!! check him out!!!!!!

kh-3 is sweet and probably covers as much as the 1086 just slightly different. i like having both, for different guitars call for different adjustments and both modules sound great for high gain.

maximus1 said:
kh-3 is sweet and probably covers as much as the 1086 just slightly different. i like having both, for different guitars call for different adjustments and both modules sound great for high gain.

i agree with maximus1...between those two modules,the KH3 covers about as much ground,yet,with better overall tone!

maximus1 said:

Outta both my ESP's, they have two totally different tones. Then the Ibanez has a completely different tone with the passive pup.

IMHO listen to the clip that someone on this forum put up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo5jQ0X5IvQ

i honestly think he got the exact same tone outta the 2. I'm sure the KH-3 has more in it, but the 1086 is way more versatile FWIW

i would say even though the 1086 has a voicing switch the kh-3 's eq is so vast its just as versatile imo. but i think the kh-3 sounds better and my drummer thinks the 1086 is better and my bassist says the grail is the best so i guess i can't go wrong with all three :lol:

maximus1 said:
i would say even though the 1086 has a voicing switch the kh-3 's eq is so vast its just as versatile imo. but i think the kh-3 sounds better and my drummer thinks the 1086 is better and my bassist says the grail is the best so i guess i can't go wrong with all three :lol:

blend all three LoL.

they are both very different to me. I have most of the good high gain mods and the kh-2 is very marshally ballzy and the kh-3 is not mesa'y for sure. the 1086 is great for high gain and being able to hear the notes and tighness and punch and the kh-2 is very nice but I might like a tad more distortion like the kh-3 or ultra but the ultra has a lack of character and the kh-3 is a bit modern like the 1086 does so if you like the disturbed tone, they would be good together (kh-2 1086). Right now i'm using the grail, 1086, and kh-3 as my fav high gains :) the kh-2 is my fav for less modern from high gain classic to modern enough but not slicing and thunderous, kh-2 is more ballsy but nice balance - very nice to my ears (which are discerning) but like i said, a bit less touchy - you can use full gain and want a bit more for reaaaly high gain like I like. but, if you use something like a screamer for leads, then those two should be a great start. Good luck and break a leg.

Peace

-stAr

Star, that really helped. Thanks

Thank everyone else that pitched in too!

goldwing68nv said:
tonymustang302 said:
quite honestly, if you want heavy, I would go with the Ultra. I love that mofo. But i haven't heard the module that sound's like a JCM 800.

yeah...the ULTRA,i love that mo'fo too!!! ......but seriously,the ULTRA needs NO boost and,hands down,out-"gains" the 1086!!! :wink: on a separate note,if you(or any of the mts forum guys)are looking for a great price on any of the KH modules,contact Curt @ Squid Music,in L.A. - he's got a "special" on them,RIGHT NOW,and price-wise,he's got the other "on-line" mts stores beat!!! here's his store phone # (714) 826-4000...or check out his "myspace" page under Squid Music-Stanton,CA. btw,he's a full-line carrying mts store,as well,for all your other mts module or amp needs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! definately a great,honest guy to deal with!!!!!! check him out!!!!!!

+1 for Curt at squid music!!!