Randall MTS gear... reliable?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felipe R

Reaction score
im using an egnater m4 pre with a vht poweramp, both are very very reliable, im thinking in buy the Randall MTS tube poweramp because i want to switch beetwen power tubes, i have heard on this board and on HC forum people having problems blowing fuses and valves with their MTS gear, whats your experience?

I think you can switch between tubes on your VHT but I could be wrong.

I gig with my Randall head every weekend and have never had 1 ounce of trouble. Blown tubes could be due to wrong bias setting or just a bad tube.

When I first got my VHT 2/50/2, I think I read in the manual that there is an internal switch to get you from the EL34 bias range to 6L6. You WILL need to rebias as well, of course, in addition to just flipping the switch.

You certainly won't be able to switch between EL34 and 6L6s on the fly, though, like you can with an RT 2/50.

To be honest, one of the reasons I went with the VHT was that I too had heard about what seemed like an inordinate number of problems with the RT 2/50 and RM100s on Harmony Central and Jared Colerby's old Egnater board. Very rarely have I heard of any problems with the RM4, though.

I haven't had any problems with my RM100 but this was my third one. The first one arrived damaged from UPS so it wasn't Randall's fault. Then Randall sent me a brand new one straight from the factory and when I went to plug it in after I received it, it was dead.......nothing, not even the fan. I noticed there was not a QC sticker on it so I think it slipped through without being checked. Sent the second one back and the third one was a charm. I haven't had any issues as of yet......knock on wood!!

well,i own an RM50HB head and i just had the "power" button break on me last weekend.i went to press it to turn on the amp,but found it locked up/seized in the "OFF" position.i pressed on it a little harder a few more times,then it broke free,but now just flops back & forth without actually powering on the amp...pretty upsetting seeing that i bought the head brand-new three months ago and,honestly,have not used it more than 12-15 times...i just dropped off the amp head to Randall early this morning since they're located about 35 minutes away from me.i'm concerned now at the build quality and/or parts quality...otherwise,i love the mts series concept & versatility.i just hope there will not be a slew of other problems to come in the near future.we'll see,i guess......