Pro settings on amps

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divots84

Reaction score
Does anyone know any web sites or Randall downloads that will show pro settings for EQ and Gain etc that I can use on my Randall amp. Like if I wanted to get close to Lynch's sounds I would do the bass at this number etc...

Over at the George Lynch Message Board and Dojo Forum there are some topics that cover George's setings for his modules.
Gerry, George's tek aka LynchTekHead1 has posted some very in depth Lynch Box settings that George has been using currently.
Search Lynch Box settings and if you have no luck let me know and when i get some time I'll look it up and copy paste it here.

Craig

khingpynn said:
Over at the George Lynch Message Board and Dojo Forum there are some topics that cover George's setings for his modules.
Gerry, George's tek aka LynchTekHead1 has posted some very in depth Lynch Box settings that George has been using currently.
Search Lynch Box settings and if you have no luck let me know and when i get some time I'll look it up and copy paste it here.

Craig

Craig, Thanks... I looked but could not find anything; would really appreciate the cut and paste.
Also for leads are you guys using a distortion pedal to kick up the gain? I seem to be able to get a great rhythum tone but can never get a good lead. I have a distortion pedal but it gets so noisy when it is turned on.

Thanks!

Let me know how you make out bro... I also have a Brahma with Soldano Supercharger GTO setup that works well for Lynch tones but is creamier than the Mr Scary one I gave you.

I have grail settings aswell for a more modern Lynch Tone.

Best to Ya

Craig

divots84 said:
khingpynn said:

Craig

Craig, Thanks... I looked but could not find anything; would really appreciate the cut and paste.
Also for leads are you guys using a distortion pedal to kick up the gain? I seem to be able to get a great rhythum tone but can never get a good lead. I have a distortion pedal but it gets so noisy when it is turned on.

Thanks!

Leave the gain down and just boost the level and any EQ you'd like. That'll cut down on noise substantially and still give a clean boost to your pre.

Scott

There could be a ground loop also or just a noisy device or cable.

I read a lot of talk on the Soldano Supercharger GTO being noisy but the one I have is super quiet. It's a grounding issue for the most part and due to legalities Soldano makes them a certain way but the fix can be gotten from Soldano.

Craig

Code:
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ysP96AsNRkI"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ysP96AsNRkI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

The following quotes have been extracted from the George Lynch Dojo Forum and were stated by George's Tek... Gerry aka LynchTechHead1

The Brahma module was voiced to match the tone of George's '68 Marshall plexi head which doesn't have a whole lot of gain until you turn up the volume...and then it's rippin'! Have you tried that on the LB?

On the Brahma module, the gain is at 5-7, bass is 10, mid is 5-6, treble is 7 and presence is at either 3 or 8 depending on the room. The density knob fluctuates between 6 to 10 depending on the room too.

He uses the Mr. Scary module the most. More recently, at the studio this past week, he has the gain about about 5-6 with the bass around 8, mid at 5 and treble at 5-6.

The Brahma is the one used when doing some heavy rhythm work and it's gain is usually up to around 4-5 with the tone settins the same as the Mr. Scary.

The Grail is set to a higher gain standard for riff-ier kind of rhythms with the gain at 6-7.

On the master controls, George has the master volume around 3-5 with the presense control at 5. Density is always on 10.

As with anything he does, this is subject to chance. However, these are the settings he used this past Monday at Henson Recording Studios.

All the way to the right would be considered 10. However, on that module, it sounds best between 4-5 (just like George sets it) as in that position, you have all the grind you need while maintaining definition. To get into solo mode while using that setting on that module, get an overdrive to kick it over the top. Good luck with the Lynch Box and I hope you get a lot of good use out it!

Keep in mind that George is using an all-maple guitar much of the time. His amp settings may not be optimal for your guitar. Just something to consider.

6stringgrind said:
Keep in mind that George is using an all-maple guitar much of the time. His amp settings may not be optimal for your guitar. Just something to consider.

This is very true...George has *lot* of Bass dialed into his sound which he needs with the Maple....try that with Mahogany and it's dark and flubby.

I'd say that pretty much true however George is using his ESP Super V sigs quite frequently these days.

For the most part and from what I can gather... these settings are used with George's Bengal Tiger. Having said that... that guitar is no longer "all maple" it has a rosewood neck theses days and GL is preffering that tone overal. The Super V gives a more classic mahogany tone and comes with a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates and Fat Cat.

For the record the all maple gtrs George uses have traditionally been the Bengal and the Kami IV. If you look at all his sigs you will see quite a variety of woods.

I find that the Kami IV gets me into a Lynch tone I like but the Kami IV surprisingly not as bright as other all maple guitars I own/have owned.

just my two cents... take it for whats it's worth.

Craig

dont get me wrong I love Lynch as much as the next guy... His guitar tone on Back for the attack is nothing short of amazing.. his playing is, God-like but I wonder what is he doing in the studio? Any one know what's he working on these days?

George just released "Souls Of We"... check out GL's site for more... I ordered it... it's cool and not very 80's.

George just anounced a three song instrumental Ep is being released shortly.

There are some talks of a Lynch Mob reunion and maybe even a Dokken reunion down the road... but it seems like that is unlikly.

Check out www.georgelynch.com.

Dokken just released Lightning Strikes Again... with Jon Levin on guitar... levin grew up listening to Lynch and idolized George's style... he nails the whole 80's GL vibe.

Being a HUGE Lynch freak, I was totally excited when he teamed up with Randall.
A while back I went to one of his Sam Ash seminars where he was using the Lynch Box and played for an hour or so...oddly enough, his tone was very flat and boomy with no real life to it. Funny cause I have the RM100 with the same modules that he was using that night, the same power tubes he was using and mine sounded nothing like it.
There were moments when it sounded good, but in general, his tone was pretty limp and uninspiring.

The "Back For The Attack" tone is only somewhat rivaled by Whitesnake's 1987 "Whitesnake" album...so I was a bit shocked when I heard his tone in the seminar. It's almost like he went out of his way for it to NOT be awesome for some weird reason.

Anyways; my only point to this is to FIND YOUR OWN TONE.
The tools are there. We know George has the modules; but set them YOUR way. His gear is different. His hands are different. His ears aren't the same as yours, what might inspire him might not be inspiring to you. When your tone fits you, you'll play better.

Think about any time you've ever picked up someone elses guitar and played thru their amp. If the first thing you've ever wanted to do was start making adjustments, you're on the right path.