Randall V2 setting (need advice)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigbauk

Reaction score
Hey. I bought the Randall V2 and a R412XLT100 cab around Christmas. I am really satisfied, but I've been experiencing some problems when it comes to sound settings. It might sound weird, but I don't think there is enough gain compared to my expectations; I was getting perfect low end sound with palm-muting, and the sound from chords is great, but not raw. When I play a single tone, like "E" on the D-string for instance, I don't think the sound is distorted enough. How can this be?

In the beginning I used the gain set to full, but I found out that this was unnecessary, didn't affect the sound much, but created a lot of noise. The gain is set to 7-8, the bass on 5, treble on 6-7, mid on 2-3 and EQ in more or less standard V configuration. And the level on 3-4 and master on 4-7

The weird thing is that when I use my earplugs, I get a sound that I am satisfied with, how can I get this sound without using earplugs?

People say that you can actually get the Pantera sound, I would be really happy if you could tell me how to get that!

Can you please give me some setting advice?

I use a Dean ML FBD guitar.

Even though you can't explain it, I would be grateful if you could write your configuration, so that I can give them a try.

these amps can be confused with not having enough gain easily with the fact that their reaction is so tight. They are plenty gainy (just go to a studio, record and listen back), but the way they react is not typical of most hi-gain amps. They're very clean, very gainy, but not dirty

True, and a good point. The sound either gets a little too sharp, too corny or completely white-noisy. Again, how come that the sound is close to perfect with my earplugs in? I can't find the same tone without them, hehe. It's quite weird, usually plugs distorts the sound in a negative direction.

My settings on the T2 for an ultrachunky tone that cuts like a ******* but doesnt shred your ears to pieces are:

@ 4ohm (300w)
Channel: Hi-gain Valve
Optimum Level: 6-7 for studio, stage setting is only about 4 though
Gain: 7
Bass: 5-6 (depends on venue or guitar)
Mid: 4-5
Sweep: Near central, for recording we had it near 6, but I tend to have it sat about 4 now - you get a much darker sound with the sweep turned back
Treble: 6-7
Density: 5
Presence: 7 although in the studio it was backed to 5

You'll need to do a few mess arounds with the graphic EQ to achieve the same tone since the T2 is alot more ballsy, but less sophisticated. You definitely need to crank it to get a good tone, these amps IMO sound rubbish with the channel levels down because of the valve element to them (i.e. the louder they are the better they sound!)

Sigbauk said:
Hey. I bought the Randall V2 and a R412XLT100 cab around Christmas. I am really satisfied, but I've been experiencing some problems when it comes to sound settings. It might sound weird, but I don't think there is enough gain compared to my expectations; I was getting perfect low end sound with palm-muting, and the sound from chords is great, but not raw. When I play a single tone, like "E" on the D-string for instance, I don't think the sound is distorted enough. How can this be?

In the beginning I used the gain set to full, but I found out that this was unnecessary, didn't affect the sound much, but created a lot of noise. The gain is set to 7-8, the bass on 5, treble on 6-7, mid on 2-3 and EQ in more or less standard V configuration. And the level on 3-4 and master on 4-7

The weird thing is that when I use my earplugs, I get a sound that I am satisfied with, how can I get this sound without using earplugs?

People say that you can actually get the Pantera sound, I would be really happy if you could tell me how to get that!

Can you please give me some setting advice?

I use a Dean ML FBD guitar.

Maybe your guitar is screwed up. Your coils are damaged maybe... It happened to me once, not with V2 but other amp ... it just lost 20-30% of gain ... humbackers sounded like singles ... horror ...

I know this is an old question, but since you've got your mids down to 2-3 and a V setting on the EQ, you've cut out pretty much all of your crunch. Get a basic sound without the EQ, then add some EQ'ing.

devastone said:
I know this is an old question, but since you've got your mids down to 2-3 and a V setting on the EQ, you've cut out pretty much all of your crunch. Get a basic sound without the EQ, then add some EQ'ing.
I hate when people cut down mids completely and then starting asking question how it happened that they loose sound, something is not running ok or in studio they can not record quality sound.

Simple, if you cut down mids on amp, later when signal past through miles of electrical circuits and gets a lots of hum and harmonics it sounds like **** ....

Mids are most important frequencies of el guitar ....

I have one question.
Bright switcher can be set to right or left. What do we get on left position and what on right?

I know it maybe sounds funny but I can not get the point of switching ... like it doesn't change sound at all!?

I Agree with Molotov.
Cutting the Mids...Scooping your sound maybe can be cool if you play at low volume level in your bedroom,but when you step in the studio,or in a live situation all the other instruments of the band will bury your guitar.

I don't know why everyone wants the Pantera Sound...Think about this...Do you enjoy if someone listen to your playing and says:"He sounds like Pantera..."?
Find out your sound,and don't take someone else's tones as an example...you may try and try,but there are some things that no equipment can emulate...

And for your sounds problems...fix your picks guitar,change cab...or simply buy a booster pedal and smooth your V equalization adding some Mids...

And Enjoy your playing with your sound!

STAY METAL!