MTS Forum Forum Index
Discussion forum for Synergy, Egnater & Randall MTS Amps & Modules

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gain staging question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrsmoots
RM20

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Gain staging question Reply with quote

Howdy:

I have the RM4. Wondering how to handle all the myriad volume controls?

For most audio applications, one keeps the volumes as high as possible at each stage, controlling the overall volume at the final gain stage. Not sure this applies to the modules / RM4 though.

I've been running the volume on the individual modules at around 12 o'clock. I then have the RM4 master volume at about 12 o'clock. Signal then goes to GMajor and then on to a Tube Works Mosvalve power amp.

So, should I be maxing out the volumes on the preamp modules as much as possible (with the restraint that I want to volume balance the low gain and hig gain modules)? Does the module's volume setting affect it's tone?

Should I also be maxing out the master volume on the RM4 chassis before it goes to my efx processor? Likewise, does the master volume on the RM4 affect the tone?

I'm unclear whether the volume's on the modules and the RM4 are unity gain at 12 o'clock, or whether they are unity gain at their maximum setting.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!
trazan
RM50

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, different volume settings can sound quite different, at least with the Egnater. What sounds best is for you to decide Cool On my M4 the higher gain modules get more compressed and darker sounding as their master is raised. The M4's master on the other hand, almost have the opposite effect when raised (clearer, more top end). Usually I prefer the high gain modules' master around 12 o'clock and M4's master around 3.

For all I know this might differ wildly depending on which tubes are in there...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Modules All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: