Gain staging question

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrsmoots

Reaction score
Howdy:

I have the RM4. Wondering how to handle all the myriad volume controls?

For most audio applications, one keeps the volumes as high as possible at each stage, controlling the overall volume at the final gain stage. Not sure this applies to the modules / RM4 though.

I've been running the volume on the individual modules at around 12 o'clock. I then have the RM4 master volume at about 12 o'clock. Signal then goes to GMajor and then on to a Tube Works Mosvalve power amp.

So, should I be maxing out the volumes on the preamp modules as much as possible (with the restraint that I want to volume balance the low gain and hig gain modules)? Does the module's volume setting affect it's tone?

Should I also be maxing out the master volume on the RM4 chassis before it goes to my efx processor? Likewise, does the master volume on the RM4 affect the tone?

I'm unclear whether the volume's on the modules and the RM4 are unity gain at 12 o'clock, or whether they are unity gain at their maximum setting.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Yep, different volume settings can sound quite different, at least with the Egnater. What sounds best is for you to decide 8) On my M4 the higher gain modules get more compressed and darker sounding as their master is raised. The M4's master on the other hand, almost have the opposite effect when raised (clearer, more top end). Usually I prefer the high gain modules' master around 12 o'clock and M4's master around 3.

For all I know this might differ wildly depending on which tubes are in there...