New - Seeking advice

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photios

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new and glad to be here.

I've got my Eganter M4 on order and my VHT 2/50/2 (almost got the Randall RT 2/50 instead) from Bruce Egnater...should arrive in 3-4 weeks!

I ordered a TC Electronic G System for effects and to control everything via MIDI...should arrive in the next day or so.

I'm seeking advice on a good 4x12 cabinet for this rig (I'm think Vintage 30 speakers)...I'd like to run stereo and I think that the lower the ohm rating the more tube saturation that I'll get and the better the sound. I've been looking at a Bogner 4x12 but it isnt stereo (could be modified, but, dont know that I want to do that). I'm also looking at the Mesa cab and a Marshall cab...any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Photios

As far as cabs go i'm runnin the randall rs412 with vintage 30's and you can run it stereo "8 ohms on each side." It also has the mic eliminator so you can plug directly into the cab and at the venue's i've played all of the sound guys like the sound it puts out. I think it sounds comparable to any big name cab around. I've played next to guys with marshalls,mesas, and many others and i've never felt ashamed. Just my small piece of knowledge on the subject.

Thats one of the cabs that I was considering...its seems like a good price point...how about the Randall cab with 2 12" speakers and one 15"...anybody ever try that?

Here's another vote for the Randall 412 cab.

4 Vintage 30s
Can run 4 ohms mono, 16 ohms mono, or 8/8 ohms stereo
Mic eliminator

New costs about $750 at most of the big chains, used on eBay $400-500

Sounds as good to my ears as any of the other big name 412 cabs with Vintage 30s, with more options.

I've never heard one of the ones with 2 12s and a 15...but I would say that my Randall XL 412 cab already has way more bass than I will ever need without the 15.

The 4x12 Randall XL with the Vintage 30's and the metal grill is the one that I was looking at...I just didnt know if the few extra bucks for a Mesa or Bogner would produce any noticable sonic differences. Is the extra few hundred dollars just for the nameplate on the front or does having 13 ply wood vs 5 ply wood make a real difference in tone?

Its kind of crazy you mention the ra125xl because I have that one too. Its got HUGE low end but really the 412xl does too. My vote probably would still have to go with the randall. If you keep your eyes open you'll be able to find one on the net pretty cheap. Way less than the store thats for sure. I'm not saying they're the best because i'm not a big time gear head but my randall cabs kick major ***. And talking about the plywood, i've never taken a mesa or marshall cab apart but i've had my randall apart and its built like a tank. Quite heavy but really solid and good bracing. Hope this helps.

Hey MTS,

I just noticed that you are in Missouri...I live in Kansas City (Indepednence actually).

Thanks for the input on the cabs...seems like the 4x12 is plenty...just need to decide between Randall and Bogner.

No problem man, my brother in law lives in Independence its a nice area out that way. I'm from the St. Louis Area. I know bogner has an awesome reputation around this area for having really high quality stuff. I gotta say though for a good priced quality speaker cabinet http://www.avatarspeakers.com/ has some awesome setups but I doubt its what you would want with lack of the stereo function (that I know of.) I think your in the right direction now though whichever way you go you'll be happy. Take care

Avatar cabs are well made, inexpensive, and offer a lot of speaker choices.

Their 412 cabs are smaller than most, especially in terms of front to back depth. This results in them also being significantly lighter than most 412s.

A couple things to consider:

1. Because of their smaller cab size, some of the larger amp heads out there don't sit on them too well.

2. Smaller cab size usually results in less low end. However, I think standard size 412 cabs have an overabundance of low end, so I wouldn't be overly concerned about this.

I'd also like to mention that if you decide to buy a used Randall XL or MTS cab, make sure that you verify what kind of speakers are in there. Randall has put other speakers besides V30s in them over the years.

OK...well get this...I just got off the phone with Bogner...they dont make a 4x12 cab that has stereo input connections...its just a single 16 ohm input. period. They have via special order made a stereo input version of the 4x12 cab by having 2 separate inputs at 8 ohms each...but, there is no mono input available if you have them do this! Unless, you use a "y" cable and then you would have a 4 ohm single input. How cheesy would that be?

So, I'm looking at the Randall now...I spoke with Bruce and he thinks they are as good as any cabinet...plus with his mic eliminator, he thinks they are as versasitle as any too.

Thanks for everyones input...much appreciated.

Oh, hey one other thing...Randall makes 2 straight cabinets with the Vintage 30's...one has an angled baffle (which I think makes the straight cabinet perform much like an angled cab)...does anyone have any input on which one to get? I would think that the standard straight cab would sound the fullest, but I would love to hear from those that own one.

I used to own a Bogner Ubercab and I would put my Randall MTS cabs up against it anyday. Get the MTS cabs with the Celestion NEO Speakers, Incredible sounding and weighs less than the RM100 head. I'm not kidding. I can carry a 412 with one arm no problem.

I ordered a Randall RS412XL cab with Vintage 30's brand new for $725 shipped to my door. It's supposed to arrive next week. I'll log in some hours on it to break it in over the next 3-4 weeks while I'm waiting for my M4 and VHT 2/50/2 to arrive with my existing rig.

Thanks to everyone for the input...very much appreciated. I'm glad to have the cabinet decision behind me...now I can concentrate on figuring out this G-System that just came from UPS.