T2: recommend me a good tube for the power section

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaomao

Reaction score
Yes the title says it all.
I just think the power section is a little dark, so I was thinking about getting a brighter tube to make it sound less dark just brighter if it's possible anyway.
The amp sound is godly but I need just a brighter tone.
I have other tube amps (boogie dual recto, peavey 5150, bugera 333 lol) and they have the right presence.

cheers
Maurizio
________
FREE DRUPAL THEMES

Have you tried messing with the mid sweep and the presence together?

The amp on a whole is not voiced to be amazingly bright n changing a valve probably wouldn't do that much difference...

El_Thwatez said:
Have you tried messing with the mid sweep and the presence together?

The amp on a whole is not voiced to be amazingly bright n changing a valve probably wouldn't do that much difference...

yeah is not bright, definetely I have to try that
it's a great sounding amp, anyway now I know why Amott wanted a brighter v2!
________
Washington Medical Marijuana Dispensary

Yeah definitely, altho sayin that, what guitar are you using? That will have a bigger effect on the overall voicing especially if you're using passive pickups, try and get a guitar with a mahogany body and neck, that will brighten it up shitloads!

kaomao said:
Yes the title says it all.
I just think the power section is a little dark, so I was thinking about getting a brighter tube to make it sound less dark just brighter if it's possible anyway.
The amp sound is godly but I need just a brighter tone.
I have other tube amps (boogie dual recto, peavey 5150, bugera 333 lol) and they have the right presence.
cheers
Maurizio

Hold on, are you honestly telling us that your Bugera 333 head has better presence than the Randall T2 ??? It's half the price !?!?!

Depends on the persons own idea of what presence is really doesnt it? Without a doubt though, the T2 is a brutal amp and kicks the arse off most others ive played in my opinion!

check the first song on the myspace page of my recording studio

http://www.myspace.com/kaomaostudio

That's a Bugera 333 ;)
________
Dexter Advice

El_Thwatez said:
Depends on the persons own idea of what presence is really doesnt it? Without a doubt though, the T2 is a brutal amp and kicks the arse off most others ive played in my opinion!

Well I'm a hobbyist but I do a lot of recordings so I got a little bit of experience with amp tones.
This amp has a big boost at 3khz that is too much for me, it's so ear-fatigueing.
While it lacks that typical 5khz-6Khz fizz typical of mesa's or peavey's.
Anyway, playing this amp, the feel is amazing.
It is like a real tube, it just lacks that tiny fizz.. it makes it sound a little muddy.
But I managed to use a boss pedal in the loop and notched a little a at 3.2 khz and slighlty boost at 6.4 Khz, now it totally rocks.
________
BREAKUP ADVICE ADVICE

Im suprised to hear that you think yours sounds a little muddy! Mine sounds incredibly tight - just put a new JJ - 12AT7 Gold in the power and its made it a little more sparkly at the top end too!

RD Steve made a point though, what speakers do you use? I use some very old Carlsbro powertones (with the aluminium dust covers) and they sound great with this amp, I think primarily because they are very crisp.

If you really want to change the voicing of the T2, you could run a high-end distortion/overdrive pedal in 'parallel' through the FX loop and then mix appropriately to get a good tonal balance between the original T2 preamp and the additional pedal, effectively this creates the effect of 2 preamps running at the same time. For my lead channel I do this with an EH hot tubes and it just fattens it up a little more and changes the mid-voicing a little to make it slightly creamier...

dudes have you heard that bugera amp? i don't care what it costs all the clips i've heard crush and most are with that cab that matches it, i'm sure it looks hillarious in person but it seems like it smokes. that shredder from korn was playin it at namm