Effects loop question with ISP Decimator

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disciple

Reaction score
I've never really ran effects through the loop in the back of my amps - I've always just put them in front of the amp. But after reading some posts with the Sonic Stomp I decided to try putting my Sonic Stomp, ISP Decimator and time delay units (Chorus, Delay, Flanger) in the effects loop in the back of my RM100 today.

Well the result wa great in regards to the Stomp and the time based effects - the Sonic Stomp in front of the amp isn't even comparable when running it in the loop - Wow what a difference this made! But the issue I found was when I ran my ISP Decimator after the Sonic Stomp and even before it in the loop - it would not work like it was intended to. There was literally no cutting out of hiss/hum when used in the effects loop with it.

When I put it back with my pedals in front of the amp - it worked fine - but the Sonic Stomp was in the loop creating just a little bit of noise when activated.

Any advice on getting the ISP to work in my effects loop properly? I messed around for about an hour with this and only way to get it to work was back in front of the amp - which is not what I was aiming for. Any fellow ISP Decimator users or anyone w/ input let me know your thoughts - it'll be greatly appreciated.

I owned a decimator once and sold it for that very reason. It wouldn't work properly in my effects loop! Not sure why, but that's how they work I think. The rack mount version supposedly had two of them, one for the input and one for the effects loop but I'm not spending $300+ to find out it doesn't work! :lol:

That sucks if that is the case - I am going to call them tomorrow and ask about it. I tried both the parallel and the series, with no results either way.

As long as I don't use the Stomp, it sounds awesome, but when I switch on the Stomp (I'm a perfectionist so most people this wouldn't bother) I can still hear a little jump in the signal with slight hiss/hum.

Which noise suppressor do you have Matt?

Hi,

I think the reason the ISP decimator is not working is because of the way
the sonic stomp changes the sounds waves. basically the sonic stomp is
an eq that time shifts the bass freqs and highs so that they dont "bleed"
together thats why you hear more clarity with the stomp on and less clarity with it off.

the isp is designed to read the sound waves (ie the vector processing that
talk about in the manual) it is not designed to read the "TIME shifted"
signal the BBE puts out. It wont understand the signal.

I recommend that you try putting the ISP decimator before the BBE stomp
in the loop ie the stomp is the very last part of the signal chain. this way
the ISP will "cut off" the signal to the Sonic Stomp but when you start
playing again it will work normally again. keep in mind that both the sonic
stomp and the bbe are switched on in this example all your doing is
cutting the signal to the poweramp using the ISP.

What's this noise suppresor you speak of? :lol: Like I said, the last one I used was the decimator. I have found with the Randall/Egnater stuff, as long as you're careful with the AMOUNT of gain dialed in, you can control most of the hiss/feedback with your picking and palm (may vary if you have noisier pickups) so I don't use them much anymore. I just remember the decimator wasn't working well in my effects loop for what I was told it was supposed to do, so I sold it to my friend who uses it in front of his amp. The Boss NS-2 was the same way, so I wasn't sure what else to do but live with it! :( As I said above though, if you are careful with your gain, you shouldn't need one in front of your amp, it's that darn hissy thing with the Sonic Maximizer in the loop that the noise suppresors won't really kill. Wish I could help you more Mike! :?

Carl martin makes a gate that has 2 seperate switchable gate settings. one meant for high gain and the other can be set at a lower threshold for cleaner tones. to me this seams like the best solution in a noise gate pedal. ns2 and smart gates change you tone. it seems to me rocktrons hush is the wrong pedal for the rm because it isnt a noisy amp exept when using massive gain.