RM100M VS RM100KH VS Lynchbox

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbause

Reaction score
So after giving up on modeling and eyeing and reading up on the MTS series I'm basically ready to buy.

In all honesty I'd prefer the rackmount 4 module setup, but I really can't afford it right now.

So I'm looking at head units.

As far as looks are concerned I like the RM100KH, Lynchbox, RM100M.

I haven't been able to check one out locally, but the switches (standby/power) appear cheap on the RM100M compared to the lynchbox and KH.

Anyway other than appearance and things like that are there any advantages/disadvantages, features, sound differences between these 3? (I'm talking unloaded of course)

I need the platform before I can even begin to talk about models.

The type of music I play is Rock/Punk/Metal.

FYI
Currently Using
LTD Viper 301w/EMGs (18V)
Framus Cobra 4 x 12 w/G12-T75s and V30s in an X.
Rack contains graphic EQ, compressor, BBE 362, and ISP Decimator.

The RM100KH has more low end at the same level of the Density control than the other two...you can turn up the Density on the other two to compensate (assuming you never want to use this control on full on the KH :D )

Lynch box used to ship with an EL34 variant (JJ E34L ?), don't know if it still does...the other two with 6L6

That plus the tolex and logo makes up the diff.

Prefer EL34 so I'm thinking Lynchbox.

Though I'd most likely pull off the logo and put something of my own on there.

question about the RM4 Pre.

Does that HAVE to be ran with the Randall Power amp?

Or would another power amp suffice just as well?

kbause said:

Any power amp is just fine.

kbause said:
Prefer EL34 so I'm thinking Lynchbox.

I wouldn't make this the deciding criteria, chances are you'll buy extra tubes no matter what head you start with

crankyrayhanky said:
I wouldn't make this the deciding criteria, chances are you'll buy extra tubes no matter what head you start with

True, but I don't want/need the extra low end on the KH, and the switches on the RM100M just look cheap and I prefer the style thats on the KH/Lynchbox as well as the indicator light.

My Rm100M came with E34L JJ's. You can have the head shipped with whatever you want. The switches arent the skinny metal ones but they are solid, I haven't had any probs with them.

kbause said:
what makes a VHT better than any other power amp?

Like say a Mesa 2:Fifty or Peavey 50/50?

VHT is my personal favorite--well balanced tone and just awesome all-around. Peavey 50/50 is a great amp for the price. Mesa's are good too, but I don't think they deserve their price tag.

kbause said:

I have the Lynchbox. I also snagged a RM4 and the RT250 randall power amp off eBay. The power amp is an amazing power amp because it has two channels that you can run at the same time or separately--(6L6/EL34). You can send two different signals (from two pre-amps--I used to have 2 RM4's) and run in stereo or blend the two channels with the 2 different power tubes from one pre-amp--or choose one side at a time.

That being said, to economize and reduce the amount of gear I had to carry around, I sold the power amp and bought a Tonebone switchbone A-B box which allows me to run the RM4 via the loop in my Lynch box. It works great!! The Tonebone A-B box is the best one on the market IMO (also bought it used on eBay) and it has a ground loop switch to eliminate the hum problems you can get with other A-B boxes as well as a mid boost switch. This set up allows me access to 7 modules!

My set-up specifically is, guitar to Xotic BB pre-amp pedal, to Boss ME-50 multi effects, to the A-B box with one out to the RM4 and the other to the Lynchbox; and out from the RM4 to Lynchbox loop. On the floor then, I have the BB Box, Boss ME-50, the A-B box and the two Randall footswitches to select the modules. Whichever module I want is pre-selected before I hit the A-B box. I really like this set-up!

btw, I'm also putting a different logo on the front of my Lynchbox--a solid brass skull and bones. I really like the gold piping and green scheme of the Lynchox but I think the logo was a good idea that did not turn out as well as it could have. When I get my brass skull put on I will be sure to post a pic. the skull is actually a modified belt buckle:

6139Skull-Crossbones.jpg

As an update to this thread I bought an RM100M locally with blackface and recto.

And also bought an XTC modules off of a member here.

I'm very happy :D :D

Caine said:
kbause said:
btw, I'm also putting a different logo on the front of my Lynchbox--a solid brass skull and bones. I really like the gold piping and green scheme of the Lynchox but I think the logo was a good idea that did not turn out as well as it could have. When I get my brass skull put on I will be sure to post a pic. the skull is actually a modified belt buckle:

6139Skull-Crossbones.jpg

Do you think I can put a "standard" Randall Logo instead of the skull? I'm not a Lynch fan and it just don't look great for what I'm playing.

btw: never found a randall logo in a internet shop :(

I tried to order the gold Randall logo that came on some of the early Lynchboxes so I could put it on my 2 x12 speaker cab but the guy I spoke to on the phone at Randall just said they weren't showing up on his computer inventory. He said there could be some back in a bin some place but that it just wasn't showing up as inventory and couldn't go back and check when I was calling. I called back a few days later, and he just said it's not showing up as being in inventory and wouldn't go back and look to see if there were any--which was said to be a possibility the prior time I called.

Since there weren't that many Lynchboxes with that logo sold (at least they don't seem to show up very often in stores or eBay) it would seem there would still be some unused gold logos someplace. Would they just order a run of only a few? The cost is in the set up so if you are going to order something like that under contract, you would think they would order at least 50-100 of them.

bigLynchBoxHead.jpg

Did Randall ever make any nice metal Lynch Box badges?

I don't hate the plastic ones but truthfully they are not AWSOME! The other thing is the last L in the word Randall is held on by a thin single section of connector.

I like the skull Belt Buckle Idea but it could come off all wrong... or it could look awsome... I dunno... I'd have to see it on the LB first.

khingpynn said:
Did Randall ever make any nice metal Lynch Box badges?

I don't hate the plastic ones but truthfully they are not AWSOME! The other thing is the last L in the word Randall is held on by a thin single section of connector.

I like the skull Belt Buckle Idea but it could come off all wrong... or it could look awsome... I dunno... I'd have to see it on the LB first.

I don't know if they ever made the skull logo in anything other then plastic. As i think I said earlier in this thread, I think it was a good idea that did not turn out as well as it could have. As for the brass belt buckle idea, it's basically the same idea as the Wigle amps--except the dark green with gold piping with a brass skull will look a lot better then the ugly purple of the Wigle amps.

Image0152-150x112.jpg

1-250x166.jpg