Anyone mod any of the KH series yet?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raz311

Reaction score
Just curious as to the above. I have the KH2 and KH3 and while I really dig them I am wondering if anyone has improved the modules with some mods. I love the KH2 but it lacks a bit of tightness I guess is the word. Chords sound full and rich but individually picked notes sound a bit muddy. As for the KH3 I would like a little more bass in there. I have tried fiddling with the EQ but I would like to hear if anyone has had any success modding theses KH modules. Not into boosting either and I generally use Passive SD pickups and active EMG's in my guitars.
Cheers
Gav

You said you are not into boosting...but I had my KH2 doing a really sweet singing (yet metal) lead tone with my SD-1 the other day. The beauty of this solution is that it's non invasive and you have a switchable rhythm and lead tone....

You won't get the same effect, but if you want to clear it up, just reduce the value in c3....Orange Drop 0.001uF is my go-to.

I really dig the KH3.

What amp do you have, maybe try just adjusting the density with that one?

KH-2, I can't really get into this one. I definately plan on doing a C3 cap mod, it is too loose to me.

^
I have the Lynch Box with E34L's. Would 6L6's help at all do you think?
The reason I don't like a boost is that I am using individual pedals and change from clean to distortion frequently and it just gets too hard to switch it all.

I found the ruby tubes to not help with the looseness, while a decent combination, a tighter tube helped clear it up on the bottom on teh kh2..

raz311 said:
^
The reason I don't like a boost is that I am using individual pedals and change from clean to distortion frequently and it just gets too hard to switch it all.

Sounds like you need an Axess Electronics GRX-4 to switch midi AND pedals in/out of loop at the same time.

jimosity said:
raz311 said:
^

Sounds like you need an Axess Electronics GRX-4 to switch midi AND pedals in/out of loop at the same time.

Hi Jim

I don't know anything about midi switching etc. I had a look at the GRX-4. So if I understand it, if I use one of these with a midi controller, I can set up presets with my stomp boxes and switch between them the same way as a multi effects unit? So I could have the tones of single pedals with the convenience of a single foot controller? Say I want a lead tone with delay or reverb, I can program that in so if I switched from say a clean tone , with the push of one button I get the lead tone? No more tap dancing lol?

Cheers
Gavin

raz311 said:
jimosity said:
raz311 said:
^

Hi Jim

I don't know anything about midi switching etc. I had a look at the GRX-4. So if I understand it, if I use one of these with a midi controller, I can set up presets with my stomp boxes and switch between them the same way as a multi effects unit? So I could have the tones of single pedals with the convenience of a single foot controller? Say I want a lead tone with delay or reverb, I can program that in so if I switched from say a clean tone , with the push of one button I get the lead tone? No more tap dancing lol?

Cheers
Gavin

EXACTLY.
The GRX-4 will do up to 4 separate loops and you can have any combination of them on at any time.

Say you have loop 1 with a Chorus and a reverb pedal in the loop and you want to step on a patch and have it go to your clean module in your amp and turn on loop one so that your clean also has the chorus and reverb pedal on when you go there.

Then you could have a delay in another loop ...and a flanger in another...
Say you want to step on button 2 of your midi controller and it be module 3 of your head with both the flanger AND delay on at the same time....easily done.

Any combination of whatever is in whatever loop and whichever module you want activated.

The only limitation is the midi controller you use.
If you use the 3 button Randall midi controller that comes with your head, you're limited to only 3 combinations --- but get a pedal that will handle more presets (FCB1010, Ground Control Pro, MidiMate, etc) and you'll have hundreds of combinations at your disposal.

jimosity said:
raz311 said:
jimosity said:
raz311 said:
^

Hi Jim

Cheers
Gavin

EXACTLY.
The GRX-4 will do up to 4 separate loops and you can have any combination of them on at any time.

Say you have loop 1 with a Chorus and a reverb pedal in the loop and you want to step on a patch and have it go to your clean module in your amp and turn on loop one so that your clean also has the chorus and reverb pedal on when you go there.

Then you could have a delay in another loop ...and a flanger in another...
Say you want to step on button 2 of your midi controller and it be module 3 of your head with both the flanger AND delay on at the same time....easily done.

Any combination of whatever is in whatever loop and whichever module you want activated.

The only limitation is the midi controller you use.
If you use the 3 button Randall midi controller that comes with your head, you're limited to only 3 combinations --- but get a pedal that will handle more presets (FCB1010, Ground Control Pro, MidiMate, etc) and you'll have hundreds of combinations at your disposal.

Awesome, thanks for the info/help Jim!! :)

Gavin