MTS Forum Forum Index
Discussion forum for Synergy, Egnater & Randall MTS Amps & Modules

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preamp tube choice in modules

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xspiderfingersx
RM100

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Preamp tube choice in modules Reply with quote

To what extent does the choice of preamp tube impact the tone in the modules. I recall reading someone saying they disliked the recto they had until they swapped the preamp tubes out: I dont care for it as my high gain tone but id like to look into which pre tubes work best for the modules

-dave
MusiciansFriend.com's Deal Center
guitarguy510
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two that I have found to sound best are Electro-Harmonix 12AX7-EH's and Tung-Sol 12AX-7's. You should talk to Lance-A-Not on here, he knows a LOT about tubes! Smile

-Powered by Thorn-
maeshuggah
RM20

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the NOS Sylvania 12ax7 and Baldwin 12ax7's work very good in the modules. they are clear, articulate, high gain and low noise. they are fairly cheap too.

If you want cleaner "cleans" then try the 12at7 > 12ax7 or dual 12at7's
again, sylvania's work great in the 12at7 range. 12at7 has 60mu (gain)

A good middle of the road tube is the 5751 it has 70mu vs the 12ax7 100mu its a nice tube to try if you want to experiment.
Rocktron Midi Mate
Mesa Boogie Strategy 400 Stereo
10 Space rack
Furman M-8D Power Conditioner
Two 4x12 cabs
xspiderfingersx
RM100

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didnt realize there was so much involved with it haha. The tubes in my black stripe rectified are electro harmonix are those the same ones you were talking about guitarguy

-dave
guitarguy510
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Dave, I think for the most part the Randall modules should come with the Electro Harmonix 12AX7-EH's in them, although I've seen some like my Mr. Scary came with JJ's stock, might be to tame the brightness of the module? I might experiment with the tubes in that one, but I have to wait until I get my M4! Confused